No announcement yet.

Aoudad Anyone know about them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was pumped the first time they came to my feeder.. now they hang out there and dominate the area.. later this summer I'll try and get one or two hoping theyll stay away for a bit. Yours is a pretty good one. A big mature male will almost have his horns growing together on his forhead because the mass will be huge. A trophy can be 8-12 years old and will be battle scarred typically. You'll know it when you see one like that. Good luck bud!

Comment

I was always told once they find a food source they will hang around. That's apparently not the case according to this thread.

Comment

On my lease, those things will camp out under a protein feeder. They will absolutely dominate an area. Hard to get rid of actually.

And they can be pretty tough. Hit 'em hard with something big.

Comment

I’ve heard they stink, never eaten one though, if they camp at feeders and dominate they must be like pigs

Comment

You might try putting out a mineral lick in your pen!

Comment

I've heard people describe them as the hogs of west Texas. My observation is that they are similar.

The meat tasted good to me. Different. But good.

Those old rams can get big too. Easily 300lbs+. If I knew how to post pics, I could show you one that I guessed at, or a little over, 400lbs.

Comment

I had my Mexican field crew turn mine into tamales
                They are actually very good
                I do know Aoudad is one of the weariest spooky critter out there
                Best eyesight you will ever encounter
                They will just up and change their plan and direction for no reason
                If they take off they are not coming back for a while
                One of my best hunts ever was my Aoudad

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                  I had my Mexican field crew turn mine into tamales
                  They are actually very good
                  I do know Aoudad is one of the weariest spooky critter out there
                  Best eyesight you will ever encounter
                  They will just up and change their plan and direction for no reason
                  If they take off they are not coming back for a while
                  One of my best hunts ever was my Aoudad
                  Aoudad tamales!

Comment

Just remembered,

Also don’t base anything around water as these guys can go days without it and if there’s a rainy day take advantage of it. For some reason they were always more activate in crappy rainy weather.

Comment

Working...
                    X