Hunting bow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting bow question

I've been looking to buy my first bow for quite a while now and as such spend time on the classifieds here and on another archery site. One interesting thing I've noticed, especially on the other site where bows get listed almost constantly is that a lot of the bows are 50-60# bows. Is it common to hunt with a 50-60# bow? I had just assumed that most people were hunting with a 70# bow.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Most hunt with 50-60
    70 is not necessary for whitetail deer.

Comment

I personally shoot a 70lb bow because I also hunt bigger game from time to time and want a bow that will fit all my hunting needs.

My daughter shoots a 45lb bow and gets complete pass through shots on deer.

Comment

It depends on what your hunting. I would say the VAST majority of people on here intend on solely hunting wt 50# with a sharp broadhead will be plenty. I've shot 53# for years and have zero intention of increasing that, unless I go after bigger, thicker skinned game. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not so sure anything heavier is needed at all, especially in North America.

Comment

these new bows of today are so efficient and so fast at 50-60# is that you don't need a 70# bow for whitetail or even hogs, my obsession compound is 57#, 29'' DL, 420 grain arrow and its getting roughly 283 fps and ive gotten two pass throughs on 200 pound hogs this summer

Comment

Go to bow shop, shoot bows, find the one that fits you and sling some arrows my friend. Don’t get caught up in the weight and stuff. Go find the one you like. If you’re in DFW area I highly recommend going to cinnamon creek. Great guys there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can comfortably and accurately shoot 70lbs shoot it. It’s not necessary but having a little more juice helps if you hit big bone. Nobody ever lost an animal because of too much penetration

Comment

I think there's a natural progression with archers; they start out(myself included) overbowed, and drawing too much weight(65-80lbs). Then, for their subsequent bows, they scale it back to 50-60 lb bows for easier drawing, and less holding weight. 50-60 lb bows should be plenty powerful. Don't catch the "Speed bug", slow and heavy arrows are proficient for killing Texas critters.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                    I think there's a natural progression with archers; they start out(myself included) overbowed, and drawing too much weight(65-80lbs). Then, for their subsequent bows, they scale it back to 50-60 lb bows for easier drawing, and less holding weight. 50-60 lb bows should be plenty powerful. Don't catch the "Speed bug", slow and heavy arrows are proficient for killing Texas critters.
                    same here, i started out with a hoyt rampage xt, 70-80# limbs, and it was set on 78# lol..it was fast but **** i was shaky with it and im pretty sure i damaged my rotator cuff with it

Comment

A bow will perform it's best at what limbs it comes with maxed out. In other words 60# bow will be best with 60# limbs. 60# setup on 70# limbs the bow won't perform it's greatest.

60#s is more than plenty for hunting. I know a guy that shoots 52# and kills deer every year. I personally have a 70# setup and want to lower it to 65#. Far more easier to pull back on colder mornings. If I decide to go less than 65# then I will buy 60# limbs and Max them out.

Find the bow you like and I'd suggest 60# max for your first setup. Upgrade later if you want a heavier poundage setup.

Comment

Great info, thanks everyone. I do plan on hunting elk with my bow so I know that makes a difference.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm shooting a 60-70 lb bow turned down to 60 and have had pass throughs on my deer taken. I haven't noticed any issues or accuracy problems with it being turned down from max. Next year I'll be looking for a 50-60lb bow, but down here in the valley, there's not many places to shoot different brands.

Comment

Bear Archery makes really good entry level bows and a lot of them have a huge range of weight adjustments and draw lengths that do not require a bow press

Comment

I have never hunted with a draw weight above 63 lbs, and that was only because that was as low as the bow would go that I had to buy when my pull rope broke and bow landed on a rock ledge and broke a limb. Middle of bow season and not gonna wait 3 weeks for new limbs. My dealer had a used Hoyt on the wall that was Left Handed---which is often a problem--so I shot it couple of years. Now I have two identical Elite Hunters, so I always have my backup if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X