Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk 40V Lithium battery life in years....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk 40V Lithium battery life in years....

So I recently purchased a Greenworks ELITE 40V lithium pole saw tool on sale that I just found out the line has been discontinued. I did a lot of research and none of this came up until I called Greenworks about a "non compatibility" snippit I found after the fact when shopping for a spare battery. All I got was yes, that was released 9 months ago and we are discontinuing the line. WTH?... My thought was new release (per Amazon), Elite (sounded commercial), bigger battery for the same money. Sounded like a win win..Classic overthinking and overanalyzing by myself...

I'd normally be OK with the line being discontinued for a savings but I'm being told that the 40V battery system on the ELITE is not compatible with the new 40V batteries and that they won't be available anymore when they run out. It will be close to $35-40 to return the saw on a $160 purchase and then I'm sure a nice waiting period to get my money back....so my question is:

On something like a pole saw where I might use it 2-4 times a year at my home and lease, how long would a 40V 3AH lithium-ion battery last, year wise?

I understand they have only a limited amount of cycles in them and they base life on that but what if I don't use those cycles up hardly at all? Does a lithium-ion battery go bad sitting around waiting for use? Could I buy another battery available now and let it sit for future use?

I'd be OK getting 3-4 years out of it I guess. The idea of spending $35-40 to ship it back to spend another $150-170 doesn't sound too keen. I know, I know it's a $150 but the purchase is still new in my mind and its the **** principle of the matter and their advertising. Just my luck
    Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2019, 11:47 AM.

Not sure if this helps your decision or not. I bought a Milwaukee 18v lithium impact driver in 2012. I have used the heck out of it and I’m still using the original battery pack that came with it.

Comment

In for replies. I bet it's the controller that is not backward compatible and the internal cells are the same. That is, assuming these are built like your common Dewalt/Makita/Milwaukee tool batteries. Those can be rebuilt at home with amazon replacement cells if you can do some soldering.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff995 View Post
        Not sure if this helps your decision or not. I bought a Milwaukee 18v lithium impact driver in 2012. I have used the heck out of it and I’m still using the original battery pack that came with it.
        Same here except mine is Ryobi. I have had the same battery since 2012. it still takes and holds a charge. It also seems to run just as long.

Comment

If the battery goes bad you can take it to a battery shop and they can rebuild it for you if you don't want to do it your self.

Comment

I have personally found that the less I use lithium batteries, the shorter the lifespan. Tools I use almost every day at work last for many years. The sets I have at home do not last as long and are used sparingly. Kind of a use it or lose it in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
              I have personally found that the less I use lithium batteries, the shorter the lifespan. Tools I use almost every day at work last for many years. The sets I have at home do not last as long and are used sparingly. Kind of a use it or lose it in my experience.

This has been my experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                If the battery goes bad you can take it to a battery shop and they can rebuild it for you if you don't want to do it your self.
                This ^^^

Batteries plus will rebuild them for you.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

Batteries plus will rebuild battery packs. I would buy a extra battery and use them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to hear. Thanks fellas. That will be much better than pissing away $30-35 to ship it back plus having to buy another tool set .

My Dewalt 18v stuff last a few years but I use it a lot. I wasn’t sure about the longevity of this 40v stuff. My first jump off into it and I get an immediate nutkick

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      Same here except mine is Ryobi. I have had the same battery since 2012. it still takes and holds a charge. It also seems to run just as long.
                      I with you I got 3 std Ryobi and 3 4ah 18v lith all have Worked hard and reliable fo about same years as yours...Now before Lith batteries me and those Ni Cad had a problem...

Comment

Make sure you understand the requirements of a Lithium battery. What I mean by this is that a Lithium Ion battery should not be kept at full charge for an extended period of time. Storing a Lithium Ion at full charge can cause dendrites to form that can short out the battery.

Comment

Yes lithium likes to be cycled but I would Still think the battery pack would last years.

No Batteries Plus will not rebuild lithium batteries. If you are familiar with a batteries plus that DOES rebuild lithium then they are doing it under the table against store rules.

Comment

Next time buy Makita you cheap arse!

I had my batteries rebuilt a couple years ago on a Milwaukee 1/2" impact....zero issues!

Comment

Is this a rant or a question for advice?

Comment

Working...
                              X