Not a knife but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a knife but....

Growing up in south Texas, I’ve been around slingshots my whole life. My dad taught us how to build them and shoot them. Unlike his situation where the slingshot was a tool for providing lunch or dinner, I love just plinking and some hunting. It’s amazing how powerful these things can be. This is my latest design made from deer antler, buffalo horn, copper, nickel silver and a touch of turquoise. Thought it would be interesting.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Chapacj View Post
    Growing up in south Texas, I’ve been around slingshots my whole life. My dad taught us how to build them and shoot them. Unlike his situation where the slingshot was a tool for providing lunch or dinner, I love just plinking and some hunting. It’s amazing how powerful these things can be. This is my latest design made from deer antler, buffalo horn, copper, nickel silver and a touch of turquoise. Thought it would be interesting.

I gave up slingshots at the tender age of 12 after I had to run from the cops(kind of).

It was a rainy day in Morgan City and a buddy and I got rained out from fishing so we decided to take our crossman wrist rockets to the local overpass and kill about a 3 foot high pile of pigeons. The pile was big enough you could see from the road and a lady drove by and said I’m calling the cops for y’all killing those poor birds. I jumped on the handle bars of my buddies huffy and we made out like Smokey and the bandit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job on the handle frame.
      When I was a kid there was a china berry tree that all us kids preyed upon. Ready made handles and plenty of ammo. We would go by the local gas stations and scrounge red rubber inner tubes to get our rubbers. Red rubber was a lot more powerful than black rubber in those days. Leather tongue from an old worn out shoe for the pocket. Nearly every kid had a Barlow knife and it didn't take but a few minutes to make a new sling shot. Then the fight was on. Sling shot fights were the ultimate battle

Comment

Thats cool. Beautiful work!

Comment

Pretty cool. Much better looking than the one I had when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            I gave up slingshots at the tender age of 12 after I had to run from the cops(kind of).

It was a rainy day in Morgan City and a buddy and I got rained out from fishing so we decided to take our crossman wrist rockets to the local overpass and kill about a 3 foot high pile of pigeons. The pile was big enough you could see from the road and a lady drove by and said I’m calling the cops for y’all killing those poor birds. I jumped on the handle bars of my buddies huffy and we made out like Smokey and the bandit.
            I have many memories as a kid that are very similar to this.

Comment

Awesome work!!

What type of material are the rubber bands made from?? I have seen some round rubber material at Home Depot that looks like would work really well...

Comment

You did a good job on that. Every kid should learn how to use one. I really helps with hand eye coordination.

Comment

Man that’s slick . If you happen to make more I would be interested in one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Slingshot

The bands are called precision sold by simple shot, a slingshot site.

Comment

that's really nice. Heck i still use one for the nuisance thing's around my yard. Ive gotten pretty good with one. Not like that though just a wrist rocket.

Comment

I use mine to discourage the cows and donkeys from hanging around my feed pens.

Comment

At one time I was pretty dangerous with a wrist rocket. We still shoot one around here but not as much

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chapacj View Post
                            The bands are called precision sold by simple shot, a slingshot site.
                            Thank you for the info... I will have to look at getting me one that can sling arrows... I can see the arrow slinging ones being made into bow fishing rigs.
                            Last edited by Pedernal; 04-06-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I carved and shaped one out of a walnut board a few months back. I can't shoot it to save my life though. I have to spend all my practice time on my recurve anyways, so it just sits.

That one looks dang fancy though! Nicely done.
                              Last edited by Trumpkin; 04-06-2019, 08:46 AM. Reason: Complementing OP!

Comment

Working...
                              X