Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best hunting knife

Okay, let’s start something.
    My wife gave me a Buck Vanguard hunting knife for Christmas last year, and I love it. The best hunting knife I’ve had yet.
    So, what’s your hunting knife of Choice and why?

Gypsy Blade Works,Mike and Jeff Harrigan,in Friendswood ,Texas,made me a custom to my design and naturally it's the best I've found,short,wide ,bull nosed sod buster styled...perfect for my son to use when he takes care of my deer for me.

Comment

Kabar Mk1, it is the just right knife, size and blade profile is just about perfect. Not to be confused with the KaBar USMC which, while a great knife, is a little too big for a hunting knife. I was actually looking at coustom knives when i stumbled on the Mk1 and it was basically exactly what i had pictured. Also i like the stacked leather handle better than any other type and it has that too

Comment

My family has always used the old faithful Buck 110. I have mine that I got when I turned 10. I got a nice custom sheath for it and that’s what I use. That being said I also have a Outdoor Edge swing blade that I keep in my backpack as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have two,, a Kershaw black horse I bought for my father in law 30 years ago,, I got it back just before he passed away,,, the other is a gerber gator folding lock back,,, both knives will hold an edge for a long time

Comment

I'm partial to an old, no name knife that was my fathers.
            I still carry it every now and then but my go to hunting knife is a STIC.
            Sure would like to talk him into making a trout knife.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Outdoor edge are great.

Comment

In the range of over the counter I have Alaska and they are amazing . Edge is ok cheap enough easy to swap blades have two of those as well . Not had the best luck with the blades staying sharp. Whitetail took 3 blades . Hide killed the first blade fast . I see others claiming that one blade and do an entire Elk ?/

The Alaska knife set is new for me so not used them yet but in the kitchen Spooky sharp and I own very high end cutlery in the kitchen cheapest blade in the kitchen is 350 . so maybe its just me ??!!

But after using the new kit a few times prepping meat I am impressed for sure

Comment

Have had a Buck 110 forever. Have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide vanguard, but my favorite hunting knife is the Knives of Alaska G10 serrated hunter. The G10 is small, easy to clean razor sharp and the serration gets through bone.

Comment

Havalon Piranta Edge. It doesn’t “look” like a hunting knife, but it is by far the best I have used and best for the price. Bought mine from Academy for $40 and it came with 10 replaceable blades.

Comment

I've got a "Precise Silver Eagle" that was bought for me probably 40 years ago by my grandfather. Still wicked sharp and easy to touch up if needs be. I can't count how many animals it's cleaned since I got it. Right now though I have an Old Hickory that a member here cut down to a Kephart style blade and rescaled with some beautiful Birds Eye Maple. That thing is so dang sharp it scares me and the high carbon blade makes a pile of sparks off my fero rod. Can't wait to try it on deer/hogs this year.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by kdunn View Post
                        Havalon Piranta Edge. It doesn’t “look” like a hunting knife, but it is by far the best I have used and best for the price. Bought mine from Academy for $40 and it came with 10 replaceable blades.

Yep, these are hard to beat.

Comment

Puma elk skinner knife is what I use in my truck since I may end my day skinny something that I hadn’t planned on I took it and filed it down to less than 20* bevel then polished it with and Arkansas stone on the same quide. I have done an entire aoudad and whitetail and it was still sticky sharp

But my belt hunting knife is a Fallkniven freja best knives in my opinion.

Comment

I don’t know about “best” but my favorite fixed blades are from Knives of Alaska and Buck. I have bought a lot of knives over the years but I always seem to reach for one of these two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Odd duck here. Father and his friends were surgeons. Learned to take critters apart with one and two inch blades. Usually have 2 Case folders with a total of five blades.......

Comment

Working...
                              X