Everything Concealed Carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
    Almost everything in life has a positive and negative. You have to weigh them personally to see what you are willing to put up with for what benefit. For example most people would probably agree that in a gunfight, in most situations a shotgun or rifle would be a better option than a handgun. Then why a handgun ever? Convenience, weight, easy to carry most of the time whether concealed or open, etc. In such a choice the less firepower as a negative is weighed against those positives. It is that way with most choices.

For what it’s worth (which is just about nothing), I have carriy concealed for 34 years.

Most comfortable carry for most people if IWB is probably about 3-5 o’clock. It just doesn’t pinch or constrict as much as other options. Is it the best? Not For me it isn’t. I opt about 99.9% of the time in appendix carry... if IWB. I always carry concealed unless on duty which is a different animal. Why appendix when IWB? Access/speed. So it is an option between comfort and speed. I choose the speed. For me appendix is not uncomfortable but other options are “more” comfortable. Like always, it is a personal preference between positives and negatives.

I also carry conceal in an OWB holster but only when I can cover it with a jacket.

For purely comfort, someone people like an ankle holster and especially if with a small handgun. It can be one of the most concealed locations period. The negative? Access and speed. It is probably the worst place to draw from. If someone has to draw from the ankle, I hope that about a 10 warning is given. Walking through the mall and you hear shots being fired by an active shooter several stores away and you just want to get your family to safety, an ankle holster might be great. You have a few seconds to arm yourself and egress from the situation. If however a guy comfronts you and you only have 2-3 seconds to react, I hope an ankle holstered gun is not your only option. But it can be great to conceal and comfortable (but even that, not for everyone) so for some people that positive might outweigh the negative.

If carrying concealed with a jacket, a shoulder holster might be the ticket. It is just about as easy (and with larger hanguns, way better) as the ankle but way more accessible. I have carried that way in years past but not anymore. I just don’t like to have to reach across my body to draw. That is my negative but I am sure that some people love it. Personal preference in positives vs negatives.

What do I carry? Mostly a SW MP Shield 9mm. Sometimes the MP Compact 9mm and on very rare occasion, the full size MP. On similar rare occasions I carry the SW Bodyguard 380 but only if I can’t conceal at least the Shield.

Single vs double stack? Printing difference for similar frame size is so small that I doubt that anyone can tell even if looking for it. If I can conceal my Shield single stack then I can conceal my Compact double stack. Weight is the only difference. The negative on the double stack is it is heavier but for that you might carry another 3-5 rounds. I always carry an extra magazine so for me capacity is not that big of an issue but I do think about it before I leave the house. Positives vs negatives.

Rookie mistakes? The biggest in my opinion is not training for self defense and that goes for even veteran police officers. I am not talking about shooting skills either. Yes you should practice drawing and shooting and under stress. Quite frankly very few people do. Even those that do shoot, stop right there. For can LTC carriers the last time they will shoot is during the licensing or requals. But again, that is not what I am talking about.

In my opinion shooting skills many times take a back seat to mental preparation. The body will not go where the mind has not first gone. I have been in shootings, have witnessed shootings, have watched many videos of shooting and have spoken to or heard face to face from many officers that have been in deadly force incidents including ones that I have witnessed. If you haven’t mentally thought about it beforehand, you won’t do it at crunch time. Now, that doesn’t mean you will necessarily freeze. But before you take any action toward a threat, your mind will have to resolve it. That might only take a few seconds but being shot at or charged with another weapon is a bad time to start making plans.

I could go into many scenarios but there is no room here for that. I will leave it at this. About three years ago my best friend at my department and a former partner shot and killed a guy in an up close engagement (his second fatal shooting). When I first saw him maybe two hours later, the first words he spoke to me went something like, “I did exactly what you and I trained to do at the range”. He faced a guy with a gun about 10 feet away and the bad guy got off the first shot. My friend drew while moving to cover and firing while moving. The bad guy got off one shot. The officer got off seven in probably less then two seconds and you can actually hear him pause twice during that time. We have two car videos of it. I asked him about the pauses and he said that he was refocusing on his front sight. It was like pop-pop-pop... pop-pop... pop-pop. As he told me, he could have never done that had he not trained with me for that exact situation. The main point is again, the body will not go where the mind has not already been.

Many people reading this forum might be better shots than me but shooting paper might not help when you have half a second to make plans. An average shooter will likely win a gun battle with a great marksman when he has prepared mentally.

In my opinion.
    I felt this was worth re quoting...the body will not go where the mind has not already been.

Comment

Cross breed holster with a Glock 26, 19, or 42 All at 4-5 o'clock. Some days I carry a 21 outside the waste band if I have a jacket to cover it up. And if I am tucking my shirt in I will carry a lcp in my front pocket.

Comment

I wish I could carry 2 o clock but my belly gets in the way. 3-4 for me.

Comment

TVC184

Great Post! Thanks for the insight. Anyone carrying needs additional training. Not just to be better prepared for an active shooter situation but also better prepared not to shoot an innocent bystander.

Comment

I carry my Ruger LC9 in this.

Comment

LC9S at 3:30 IWB with this holster and this belt.

I highly recommend the Magpul belts, no matter which gun and holster combo you choose.

Comment

I carry 3 different ways. One is sneeky Pete on my side or a holster on my side ( just seat belt and getting keys or change gets in the way and also have a boot holster that I carry in my left boot for church and places that I don't want people to know I'm carrying. It's just what your comfortable with.

Comment

Glock 23 in a Crossbreed supertuck at 3 o'clock. Train yourself to look for 30:06 and 30:07 signs. I see a few 30:07 signs here and there but rarely see a 30:06. Also relax. No one knows your carrying despite what it will feel like.

Comment

I tried many, and now have the most comfortable way I have found. Smart carry, 12:30, Kahr p380( extra mag.). I can carry no mater what clothes I choose to wear. From dress to trunks and any thing inbetween. And never have to worry about imprinting or it being seen.
                    Last edited by critter69; 12-07-2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

right hip glock 19 or shield 9mm depending on clothing

Comment

Everything Concealed Carry

What is the most comfortable position to carry in?

4 o’clock is my preferred carry position in a kydex holster

What do you carry?

Glock 23

Single stack vs double stack does it really make a difference printing wise?

Double stack all day every day. I like having 14 rounds in the pistol, plus 13 more in an extra mag. I’ve never had a single stack so I don’t contest to how they carry, but I’ll stick with double

What are the rookie mistakes I should avoid?

Don’t worry so much about printing. No one cares or pays attention, except for other concealed carriers.

and any other helpful hint would be great

Carry as big of pistol as you can comfortably carry!!!! No sense in carrying a small single stack 9mm that holds 6 round when ya can go slightly bigger and have something much more capable -in my opinion. But it’s better than nothing either way. I carry an extra mag everywhere I go, so 27 rounds total. Never know...

Also- buy a QUALITY holster. Some aren’t cheap. You’ll have to decided which style you like best, al kydex, hybrid and all leather. I love all kydex. But seriously- a quality holster is much much safer and comfortable than a cheap universal holster. Sometimes it takes buying a few to find out what you like the best.

FYI- I’m not knocking anyone carrying a small pistol, I just personally think most that do would be much better suited carrying slightly bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Jeremy7306; 12-07-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Another thing to go along with a quality holster is a quality gun belt. The belt can make a huge difference in how your pistol carries, especially if your carrying something glock 19/23 size and up.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                            I carry at 2-4, just depends what I’m wearing. I’ve also come to realize that even though you think it’s obvious that your carrying, most of the time it’s not

I carry a glock 26 40 cal

Glock 26 40 cal? Typo?

Comment

Glock 19, appendix carry in a High Noon Mr. Softy holster. Have been carrying for 20 years, it’s the most comfortable for me by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
                                Glock 26 40 cal? Typo?

It is. Sorry, I got a 27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X