Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Official" 2014-2015 Somerville Thread

Thanks for the catch Rem.

So I'll ask again - anyone else thinking about that first sit at S'ville already?

I know I am. Maybe it's the hot weather, but I can't wait for the first cool day at Somerville when I'm in a stand, with my bow.

Never been to Somerville but i have envisioned that first sit of the season in the perfect public land tree, wherever it may be

Comment

Gonna head up to start scouting soon. Probably this weekend. Gotta see which trees are still alive so I can avoid climbing a dead tree in the dark like I did 2 years ago. That was a big surprise when the sun came up!

Going to look for 1 or 2 new spots this year. Old ones are getting tired to the eyes, and after so many years in the same spots, I think the deer have me patterned better than I have them.

Comment

No problem. I may look into Somerville this year as well as Sam. We've camped out there in birch creek about 6 years in a row. We find small sheds almost every time. I've seen plenty of trails and tracks.

Comment

I'm ready to be sitting in my climber at Somerville. Went there for the first time last year and fell in love with the place

Comment

somerville is on my list, probably next year though

Comment

succesfully hunted there about 20 yrs ago. might just have to try it again. better look for my maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Texashunter13 View Post
                I'm ready to be sitting in my climber at Somerville. Went there for the first time last year and fell in love with the place
                Easy to do. I fell in love with S'ville about 23 years ago and have enjoyed every season since. Not sure why. It's not loaded with deer (esp. back in the early 90's!), not particularly scenic, and not very large. Heck, it can get super crowded too. But some of my most memorable sits have come while there, along with a fair amount of recent success when I really needed it to fill the freezer.

Silverarrow, I haven't used maps since Google Earth came out. You can literally see individual trees with that tool now. It's a great way to scout and save time.

Comment

Limbwalker I have read some of your previous post about how crowded it has been the last couple of years and it might have to do with the oilfield boom. My family and i moved to new Braunfels this time last year bc of this and found this to be the closest place to hunt. But that being said I have not told any of my co workers about Somerville haha.

Comment

That could explain it. I know there's been a strong uptick in activity around the Giddings Austin Chalk area. I was thinking most of the guys I was running into were A&M students, but they could be younger oilfield workers too. Either way, it's been packed the last 2 years. Before then, I was often the only vehicle in the parking area.

Comment

That would have been nice to be about the only one out there. Last season I sat all day and around 4:30 a guy comes walking in on me

Comment

Pretty common if you don't get too far off the main travel paths. I've been hunting 3 or 4 spots in the past 5 years and have never once had anyone walk in on me. Not even close that I'm aware of. Which is a bit surprising since these spots aren't that hard to get to really. They are a half-mile walk in, but I don't consider that very difficult compared to where some guys go. Late in the season 2 years ago, I was seeing so many trucks (parked all over because of the drought) that I figured out how to get to a place where NOBODY hunts. Had to cross a major creek and find the right crossing, but once I did, I had a pretty good chunk of the public land all to myself. Only thing I worried about was falling out of my stand out of cell reception and my wife not knowing where I was. So I made her a map of the area and put stand locations on it, then I'd tell her where I was planning to hunt so they could find the body. LOL. She didn't think that was very funny, but did appreciate the map.

One thing about S'ville is that it's thick enough for a guy to get away from the crowds if they really want to, and if they have good woods skills. With GPS these days (I don't use it) it should be simple really. I learned to navigate the woods without GPS, and usually don't even use a headlamp if the stars or moon is bright enough. I never use trail markers, reflectors or flagging, ever, so nobody can figure out where I'm going. So, those things probably help me keep from getting walked in on.

Comment

BTW, if you plan to use trail markers on the East end of the Nails unit, you may want to scout after sundown first, and see just how many are already out there. Last time I came through that area after dark, I flipped on my head lamp and the woods lit up like a Christmas tree. I couldn't count all the reflective trail markers, there were so many. So don't always count on being able to follow your reflective markers back to the truck. Those woods are full of them already, in every direction.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I use a GPS bc of my lack of knowledge of Somerville it can be pretty easy to get turned around out there. That's a good idea to draw a map for the wife just incase but heck my wife gets lost going to the store lol.

Comment

Hey guys, especially yall 2 Nails Creek regulars.....if interested in hunting private land literally walking distance from Nails, one of the pastures in the family ranch that i hunt and sorta protect/oversea is available for lease. Ranch owning family has the by far fairest lease agreement of all. Message meif interested or hell text me....979-203-6926

Comment

Working...
                              X