No announcement yet.

"Official" SHNF 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see a new one getting started. There's some parts of the forest looking good this year. Had a spot I really wanted to try during bow season that is looking great, but not sure yet if I'll be hunting the forest this year at all. I'll still be following, regardless. So good luck y'all.

Comment

Can you have a good hunt in the forest down there with out a 4 wheeler and with out good scout work, ok I know the second one has to frustrate a lot of you guys buta I'm just being honest if I was going to be ale to come down it would probably be a one time 3 day hunt I drive a truck for a retail store and deer season and our busy holiday rush overlap so I loose out on deer season matter of fact finally let go of my lease after 3 years of feeding all year long to let my friends ask "if they can hunt my blind since I won't be down again this weeKend"

Comment

I'll be following this thread as I lost my lease this year. SHNF is my old stomping grounds. If anyone hunts near 75 closest to Huntsville let me know. We can scout together.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
          http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/

I believe from this site it is a swamp chestnut oak.
          Yep, PineyWoods knows his stuff...Swamp Chestnut Oak.
          I learned something today.

Comment

Big Chris, no 4 wheelers allowed in SHNF, except on the multi use trails. Most areas are walk in or bike in.
            As far as being successful in 3 days, it would depend on your definition of success. Can you get in the woods, hunt and get back safe, yes this can be done. Can you see deer, maybe, depending on where you hunt. After a trip or two, you will learn more.

As for that oak, those acorns were huge. There was a low spot that had some that were rotten, but the hull was still there. There was a smoker rub, and several other rubs. There is very little undergrowth, but the canopy is very thick. Not sure I could get 30' up and even see the ground. I'll have to do some more scouting.

Some of you guys that live up that way, is there a better place for us to meet up for opening day lunch?

I am going to take my ozone generator out of the housing it is in and see if I can get it in a smaller one. I really want to use it more this year.

Comment

Gonna be up there in the forest this week for a second scouting session, anyone else? After my hike wife and I are gonna be camping out at Huntsville SP. I have a spot picked out that I want to look at again and so many here have suggested having a few, so maybe trying to find some. If any one is gonna be out there maybe we can get together.

Comment

HF, are you talking about Ozonics? I've been thinking about getting one of those things, but I'm not sure yet, have you noticed it works ok?

Comment

Time to get in National Forest shape guys! Those who hunt it know what I'm talking about. Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                    HF, are you talking about Ozonics? I've been thinking about getting one of those things, but I'm not sure yet, have you noticed it works ok?
                    Hey Piney, I read somewhere that Ozonics only lasts 5 hours on a charge?

Comment

Big Chris, no 4 wheelers allowed in SHNF, except on the multi use trails. Most areas are walk in or bike in.
                      As far as being successful in 3 days, it would depend on your definition of success. Can you get in the woods, hunt and get back safe, yes this can be done. Can you see deer, maybe, depending on where you hunt. After a trip or two, you will learn more.

As for that oak, those acorns were huge. There was a low spot that had some that were rotten, but the hull was still there. There was a smoker rub, and several other rubs. There is very little undergrowth, but the canopy is very thick. Not sure I could get 30' up and even see the ground. I'll have to do some more scouting.

Some of you guys that live up that way, is there a better place for us to meet up for opening day lunch?

I am going to take my ozone generator out of the housing it is in and see if I can get it in a smaller one. I really want to use it more this year.
                      Pizza shack in Willis is a great place...

By the way , the wife and I will be in the woods Sunday if anyone wants to meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                        It is a generic version of it.
                        So far, yes it does seem to help. I have used it some last year. On one hunt in particular I had deer pass down wind and never spooked. I was highly impressed. Then a while later some more deer passed and spooked. I was mad and thought it was a POS. Until I discovered that the battery had died. But that made me realize that it really did work. So it is in a nice plastic container, but I think I can make it smaller. I use a feeder battery, so it will run all day. I'll try and post pics tonight. If I can remember the web site I'll post it too.

Comment

Information Unlimited, electronics hobbiest equipment, science projects, tesla, tesla coils, high voltage engineering, anti gravity, security devices, video devices, audio devices, acoustics, ultrasonics, hypnotism, mind control, telephone devices, electronic kits, plans, books, videos, pyrotechnics, neon, neon power supplies, neon transformers, telephone listening devices, surveillance, telephone devices, self defense, tactical electronics, night vision, video cameras, video devices

Its an ozone generator. It is half the price of an ozonics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                            Pizza shack in Willis is a great place...

By the way , the wife and I will be in the woods Sunday if anyone wants to meet up.
                            x 2. Their calzones are not to be missed.

Comment

WWW.amazing1.com

Its an ozone generator. It is half the price of an ozonics.
                              awesome, thankyou, I'm going to check it out

Comment

Originally posted by trophytrout1 View Post
                                Hey Piney, I read somewhere that Ozonics only lasts 5 hours on a charge?
                                that was one of the issues I had, plus the weight and size packing in and out...

Comment

Working...
                                X