No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa Special hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got drawn too! Mudmauler, looks like we'll be down there the same weekend, I was #193.

Comment

I was 113! Going the first weekend! I went down early and spent all day Sunday hiking up through through unit 3. Found one herd of Nilgai, about 10-12 cows with a bull. Got close enough for some decent photos.
      Otherwise, had close encounters with a gator, bobcat, hordes of mosquitoes, and whitetails!

TradAg02, what loop did you make on your bike? Did you stick to the dirt track roads? I ditched my bike after 5 miles at the Southern crossing into unit 3: I wanted to scout back there and that waist high brush was not bike-able. Just wondering what other areas are bike accessible. I was tired and had too many blisters to bike back out this morning!

Oh yeah, they said 503 total apps...cool to see some TBHers getting a few spots!
      Last edited by mmurphey; 03-06-2018, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmurphey View Post
        !

TradAg02, what loop did you make on your bike? Did you stick to the dirt track roads? !

I rode out to both points in 5 then around through 3 and came out the south end of 8. I generally stuck to the road and walked trails to the edge of the brush to glass openings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbw899 View Post
          I got drawn too! Mudmauler, looks like we'll be down there the same weekend, I was #193.

Sent you a PM!
          Good Luck!

Comment

Congrats to all who were drawn! I'll be looking forward to pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
              I was 78. 76 an 77 drew, but no luck for me. I did a 33 mile loop on my bike while I was waiting, spotted 36 nilgai.

Looks like there were around 500 applications. I figured there would be 100 max. Oh well, nice day for the 5 hour drive home.

How many flats did you have? If you didn't get any flats what kind of tubes/tires were you using? I hunted there a few years ago and it was difficult keeping air in my tires because of all of the thorns.

Comment

How many flats did you have? If you didn't get any flats what kind of tubes/tires were you using? I hunted there a few years ago and it was difficult keeping air in my tires because of all of the thorns.
                Get flat protectors, (Walmart - Thin plastic strips that protect the tube) and add Slime. Still carry a pump or CO2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                  Get flat protectors, (Walmart - Thin plastic strips that protect the tube) and add Slime. Still carry a pump or CO2

I'll try that, will probably need special tires too. Pulled 20-30 thorns out of tires last time.

Comment

I'll try that, will probably need special tires too. Pulled 20-30 thorns out of tires last time.
                    Stock tires on mine have worked well for 2 years there. The protectors help stop punctures. I had one tire get a thorn and heard it when it happened and immediately slime began spraying so I peddled hard thinking I was screwed but it did its job, and I still have not replaced the tube

Comment

Stock tires on mine have worked well for 2 years there. The protectors help stop punctures. I had one tire get a thorn and heard it when it happened and immediately slime began spraying so I peddled hard thinking I was screwed but it did its job, and I still have not replaced the tube

I'm definitely buying the protectors. Thanks for the info! You have any luck on either hunt?

Comment

I'm definitely buying the protectors. Thanks for the info! You have any luck on either hunt?
                        Not much, just a little bit of luck, including bad luck. That place isn't for the faint of heart or the inexperienced outdoorsman. If anything, it is an open book of challenging lessons to be learned, so go with that mindset. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

I got one on Monday. During my hunt back in December my partner and I changed flats nightly. We carried several extra tubes, CO2 and a small pump. Most of the thorns were small so we just put extra air in the tires as needed so that we didn’t have to change flats in the field.

Comment

Not much, just a little bit of luck, including bad luck. That place isn't for the faint of heart or the inexperienced outdoorsman. If anything, it is an open book of challenging lessons to be learned, so go with that mindset. Good luck and keep us posted
                            Will do! I completely agree, the archery hunt was definitely one of the tougher hunts I've ever been on. I was lucky enough to get one.
                            Attached Files

Comment

good luck guys, it will be nice to follow along.

Comment

Working...
                              X