How trad archery is alot like golf!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How trad archery is alot like golf!

I was stalking ole bucky in the in-laws backyard. Keep in mind they have no back fence and the yard turns into the golf course a short distance away. Anyway, so there I am making a final adjustment, easing out from behind an ebony tree...I draw slow and smooth, hit anchor, and my daughter yells DADDY!!!!!! out the back door. My concentration is shattered and I feel the string tug at my bow hand as I release...CRACK!!! My GT 35/55 with 225 grains up front slams into another ebony tree about a foot over bucky's back and then bounces rearward where it comes to rest about half way back to me. I look up in time to see a very confused solo golfer on the number 1 green. I don't know what all he saw but he seemed very concerned. He also checked his back more than once on the next tee box. Amazing how similar distractions in your draw and distractions in your back swing are. All in a days fun right? I did manage to kill bucky on more than one occasion with the old Bear. Lots of fun.

Let me see if I can do a top 10,

10 they both make me want to scream and throw things on occasion.
    9 you can never master them completely
    8 even a can't miss shot can be horribly missed with little effort
    7 lots of squirrels
    6 Buff rides in a cart
    5 avg hunt and round of golf 4-5 hours
    4 sometimes even an ugly shot gets the job done
    3 it's normally not the equipments fault
    2 a fat guy can enjoy both

and the number one reason trad archery is like golf....

1 Broken arrow can kick butt

Comment

Comment

I'm overwhelmed, blushing right now...

Comment

lol great one!

Comment

LOL, Chunky,et al.
            this "top 10" could go on forever, like:

Everyone wants "a hole in one".
            ETC....

You are right DUCKn. When I first picked up a bow, 5 years agao, I found archery, fly fishing, and golf to be very similar...techinque, form, practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Maybe you should have yelled FORE!

Reminds me of an old cartoon that I saw years ago. It showed this fellow shooting his bow then he yells "Duck!" Then he says "Sorry, I meant JUMP!"

Comment

Chunky let's add to the list. You want a new bow/club because you got beat at a 3-D shoot/round of golf because his bow/clubs were better.

Comment

They both cost a fortune!

Comment

You can't have just one bow or one set of clubs...

Comment

The mental side of the sports is very similar. When you are "in the zone" and everything feels right, there are no thoughts about form, you just "think" the arrow right into the bullseye. And there are some days on the golf green when your putting line seems so obvious, that in your mind's eye it looks like a painted stripe. You just step up and roll it in. Other days (most days?) even the backstop behind the target is not big enough and I couldn't make a three foot putt into a 5 gallon bucket.

Comment

Working...
                      X