Anyone here design larger foot bridges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here design larger foot bridges?

I have a span of 16 feet of creek I need a foot bridge built over. It’s anout 12 feet down into the creek bed. It will have foot traffic and I will need to be able to drive across it with a larger riding mower, but no cars or heavy vehicles.

It will need to have permits and stuff, so the plan needs to be engineered not just put together on a napkin. I have a lot of ways to do it that would probably work, but figured I would leave this to the pros.

You might send Drycreek a PM.

Comment

Thanks, will do.

Comment

Tagged.

In case you need a fallback position Eyeball Contruction can probably jump on this as a Cost+Beer TBH Workday

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          I have a span of 16 feet of creek I need a foot bridge built over. It’s anout 12 feet down into the creek bed. It will have foot traffic and I will need to be able to drive across it with a larger riding mower, but no cars or heavy vehicles.

It will need to have permits and stuff, so the plan needs to be engineered not just put together on a napkin. I have a lot of ways to do it that would probably work, but figured I would leave this to the pros.
          Man I need to get my PE so I can do legit work like this on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post

Why do you need a permit?
            I built a 4 wheeler bridge across one of our creeks that spans 32ft wide. Didn't need no stinkin permit for that!!!

Comment

Buy a used flat bed trailer bed and put that across it.

Comment

Put a 40 foot shipping container across it.

Comment

I should probably mention this is in the back yard of my house, so its got to look good.

I've thought about just taking some 30ft I-Beams and lay them across with some wood decking and a rail, but because its in the city limits and in a flood plain, I need city approval or risk future issues.

I do have these plans...
                  Bridge plans, foot bridge, timber bridge design, pedestrian bridge, do it yourself wood bridge construction, truss bridge, garden bridge, span creek bridge pond build bridge design bridge drawings drawing prefab pre-fab greenhouse cabin shed gartenbrücke brücke plan bach baupläne rainbow bridge brückenplan 5/4 decking kit kits

It just seems complex for something that could be done with a few I-beams.

Comment

A buddy of mine did a couple bridges like this at his place with 4x8 timbers. Ended up being quite a bit cheaper than steel beams. Just another avenue to consider.....

Comment

I don't know what's gonna satisfy the city, but the I beams and decking would work fine for a riding mower. Railing wouldn't be necessary for strength but would be desirable for safety. The main thing is to build it to look good but to last with minimal maintenance, as well as being strong enough to carry double your heaviest load. If it looks good and is strong, the city will probably go for it.

You could have pipe or tubing uprights welded onto the beams and a railing welded to them. The decking can be screwed into the I beam just like decking a trailer.

Comment

Tagged. This is going to be good

Comment

Working...
                        X