what kind of 243 ammo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of 243 ammo.

morning guys and gals, I bought my wife a 243 a couple years ago and weve shot anything from hornady superformance down to Winchester ballistic tips. My problem is there is hardly no blood trail whatsoever if any all the way to the deer, she typically has decent shot placement and usually the deer runs no farther than 60-70 yds. advice that might help me go a direction for ammo that will lets say open it up a little more? oh and usually shoot around 95 to 100 gr ammunition. thanks.

try some good old fashioned core-lokts.

Comment

Have you tried the 95gr Federal Fusions? We have had awesome results with those.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
        Have you tried the 95gr Federal Fusions? We have had awesome results with those.
        This is the best I have found in mine.

Comment

Try anything that's soft point or like already mentioned corelokts. I've had great results with superformance 75gr vmax.

Comment

Are you getting pass throughs with those rounds? If you arent, you might try some standard lead point ammo that does not expand as quickly, rising the chances of a pass through and a better blood trail.

Comment

getting passthrus along with farely big exit wounds just all the blood stays in the cavity, quite aggravating, but then again i'm used to 3006 and 300 win mag so its usually no trailing needed.

Comment

Originally posted by fred View Post
                morning guys and gals, I bought my wife a 243 a couple years ago and weve shot anything from hornady superformance down to Winchester ballistic tips. My problem is there is hardly no blood trail whatsoever if any all the way to the deer, she typically has decent shot placement and usually the deer runs no farther than 60-70 yds. advice that might help me go a direction for ammo that will lets say open it up a little more? oh and usually shoot around 95 to 100 gr ammunition. thanks.
                What do you mean by this? Lung shots that are high and back often result in this. The blood pools in the thoracic cavity. The animal dies pretty quickly. But there's not enough blood coming out the relatively small wounds that a .243 makes to give a blood trail. Describe her shot placement better, and we may be able to give you a better response.

I'm loading the Sierra 85 grain BTHP for my .243. It gives quarter size exit wounds on does, and they are usually DRT with a good lung shot.

LWD

Comment

Core lokt 100 work great in my 700 bdl and always kill the deer or hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                    What do you mean by this? Lung shots that are high and back often result in this. The blood pools in the thoracic cavity. The animal dies pretty quickly. But there's not enough blood coming out the relatively small wounds that a .243 makes to give a blood trail. Describe her shot placement better, and we may be able to give you a better response.

I'm loading the Sierra 85 grain BTHP for my .243. It gives quarter size exit wounds on does, and they are usually DRT with a good lung shot.

LWD
                    typically directly behind the shoulder with the occasion shot that you spoke of right there.

Comment

.243 has been my caliber for close to 30 years. I always shoot the Winchester ballistic tips. Hogs are the only thing that has ever given me a problem with blood trailing. I got pretty frustrated when I first started shooting hogs and stepped up in caliber for a while, but we all know shot placement is the key.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fred View Post
                        typically directly behind the shoulder with the occasion shot that you spoke of right there.
                        Then it's probably too high. Bring the shot down and forward.

LWD

Comment

thanks guy ill try the coreloks and try to tighten up her shot placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                            Love these

Comment

my boys shoot a 243 and we have that same issue. I'm interested in changing ammo as well. they have been shooting the 80 grain TTSX barnes bullets, which go straight through everything, but with the pigs and deer they've killed in the last few years, there hasn't been a single blood trail up until 10-15 feet before where we find the animal.

Comment

Working...
                              X