NM Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NM Elk

The past September we elk hunted in NM again. We had a nice trip & had multiple encounters with Bulls. I called in several nice Bulls into bow range, but as luck would have it there was always some kind of obstruction preventing me a clear shot. On the morning of the 14th day of our hunt I was calling in an upper 200" class 6x6 with a few cows. They were closing in from across an open meadow. They were about 150 yards away when a 5x5 slipped in head of them looking for that lonely cow. The 5x5 was around 50 yards when I spotted him. He was smelling & looking for that cow. We was steadily closing the distance on me. I knew if he got past me there was a good chance he was going to bust me. The 6x6 & cows were still working their way toward me. I decided if the 5x5 kept coming I would go ahead try for him this late in the hunt & it would be easy access of getting him out. The 5x5 was around the 30 yard range when I shot him. Well the 5x5 traveled a little further than I expected he would. He ended up falling 50 to 60 feet off a cliff onto a rock ledge... What turned into an easy recovery turned into an all day affair. It took a lot work getting to him & we crossed over a rattlesnake den in the rocks getting too him, talk about spooky... We had to cut him up to get him off the rock ledge. The fall did manage to break off a few tines & chipped a few others.

He isn't a big Bull & I passed up several better Bulls during the hunt. Still happy to be able to go & to get him. Two days later I called in a really nice 300" class 5x5 Bull for my Dad. The Bull dang near jumped into the bushes with us. I kept telling him to shoot. I guess he was in shock...LOL. The Bull is only 10 feet away. Finally he drew & the Bull spooked, I called & stopped him at 20-25 yards. My Dad shoots, the Bull runs & I started to cow call & the Bull starts coming back. I notice the Bull isn't hit. I called & stopped the Bull again he shoots & the Bull runs again. I cow called & the Bull starts to come back. He shoots again, no luck. He is out of arrows & Bull hangs around for another 10 minutes bugling at us. LOL I hope I'm still able to chase them when I'm in my mid 70's.

Can't wait till this September.

Cliff the Bull fell off of

Broken tines found

great story thanks. Congrats.

Comment

you definitely won't ever forget this hunt! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great story! Thanks for posting it up. Congrats on a trophy experience.

Comment

Thanks for posting! Great hunt, story and pics!
          You shot and tenderized your bull all at once...congrats!

Comment

Great write up and congrats!

Comment

Thanks for sharing, what a fun experience. Get any pics of the rattlesnake den by chance?

Comment

That's awesome, trip you'll never forget and what its all about

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike585 View Post
                  Get any pics of the rattlesnake den by chance?
                  Thanks all!

Didn't get any pictures of the rattlesnakes. We were climbing our way to the elk & stepped on top of a large rock & the rattling began. You could feel the rattling vibration where we were standing. They were loud as well. We didn't feel it was necessary to move the rock to investigate their den. That keep us on our toes...

Comment

thanks for sharing, and congrats on the elk

Comment

great write up and thanks for sharing! and congrats on a nice bull

Comment

Great story. Congrats

Comment

Awesome congrats!

Comment

Great write-up, thanks for sharing. Hope to make it to NM for an elk hunt one day myself.

Comment

Top for a good bowhunting thread. Thanks for sharing and yes I hope to be slingin arrows when I'm 70 also.

Hogboy

Comment

Working...
                              X