best broadheads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best broadheads?

I am getting serious about hunting with my recurve this year and was wondering what some of the best broadheads for me to try? I have used Magnus Stingers in the past and realize that they are more a compound broadhead but like them nonetheless. I am using Axis arrows and my draw weight is 48# @28" if that matters on the point weight. Trying to get 2-3 to try and find the one that works best with my setup. Also, not interested in silverflames or anything that's more than about $30 for 3.

I use slick trick 100gr magnums but thats out a compound. Not sure for recurve.

Comment

Used slick tricks. im trying Ram Cats this year. would work well considering they cut on both sides so if you dont get a pass through itll chop up the insides

Comment

I've been using 125 grain 4 blade Magnus stingers out of my 55@28 longbow for years. They've worked great for me on everything from pigs to African antelope. With 48lbs I'd probably use the 2 blade 125 grain.

Comment

Do you already have your arrow situation figured out? If you've decided you absolutely want a 125gr head for example, you can then tweak the other variables - spine/length, insert for desired FOC, etc to match that 125 grain head. Remember that most recommend a total arrow weight of at least 10 grains per pound for hunting. I started with an approximate arrow weight and FOC% I wanted to end up with and started tweaking from there. (I ended up with a 100gr insert and a 150gr head.) I would check out Three Rivers Archery - they have a good selection of broadheads. I think there are quite a few that sell for $30-$35 per 3. I would go with a 2 blade that is fairly easy to sharpen.
          Last edited by jerp; 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I would go with a 2 blade that is fairly easy to sharpen.
            This!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              This!!!
              yup

Comment

Not a thing in the world wrong with those stingers you have been using

Comment

Like said above, the stingers are just fine.

Bisch

Comment

another question for the trad guru's. If I am pulling 48#@28" and my arrows are 29", how heavy should they be? I think my arrows are around 400-415 grains right now, but should I try to get to 480 grains or more for better penetration on hogs, deer, etc?

Comment

Your going old school, so go old school with the time tested zwickey delta135 grain! Or if you dnt like the extra weight then the zwickey Eskimo 125 grain

Comment

I do agree though stinger is a nice broadhead

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                          another question for the trad guru's. If I am pulling 48#@28" and my arrows are 29", how heavy should they be? I think my arrows are around 400-415 grains right now, but should I try to get to 480 grains or more for better penetration on hogs, deer, etc?
                          I am of the school that thinks heavier is better, so I would try to get to at least 480 and 500-525 grain would be even better. I shoot 640 grain out of my 55@28 longbow.

Comment

Gonna use STOS 145s to start the season. We'll go from there

Comment

I have used magnus stingers and they are good broadheads. This year I will be hunting with vpa 175 terminators with a 50 grain brass insert.

Comment

Working...
                              X