Duck Blind "Grass"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Blind "Grass"

Anyone have suggestions for those grass mats you use to "brush in" a duck blind? I've searched and found quite a few online but wanted some first hand opinions on them. Also, if I take them down at the end of the season how long do they last? Any artificial grass mats available (I couldn't find any other than a discontinued MOJO brand)

BPS carries one that is pretty good, we have some sneak blinds that we store in an old pontoon blind and they are prolly 4 or 5 years old and will still work with the t-posts.

Comment

academy has some in Lake Jackson

Comment

Ive always used whatever I can find. Academy and Gander Mtn. carry the stuff. Whatever I buy gets a thorough camo job to help blend. They stick out like a sore duck blind in the field if'n you don't paint 'em!

Comment

Run down to the coast and pick up fresh palm fronds, you can pick them out of brush piles for free, they will last a few years and it gives you a reason to get some fishing in.

Comment

Mine hardly make it through a season. Best bet is to attach it to some netting and when you set it up throw some native vegetation up on it from the area you are hunting.

Comment

Oleander cuttings work well.

Comment

Next time you are in wharton head north on 1160 from 1300 and in the ditch on your right is all the duckblind grass and cat tails you could ever want. We cut some every year and it grows right back.

Comment

It will last 10X longer hung on blind up side down, but does not look near as good. It's all too $$$ for me. I hate hunting from a boat but in my boat (to hide it) and on blinds I go to the lake about now to some cat tails and cut them down and bundle them together with zip ties (about a hand full at a time). They will dry out if you lay them flat when stored and be just as good and FREE! I wrap bungies around my motor and other things and just tuck the under it. Get the zip ties tight because they dry out alot

Comment

I sometimes make my own. Find someone with some cane. Cut a truck load. Buy some 3"x3" or 4"x4" square mesh welded wire from TSC or Lowes or Home Depot. Cut welded wire into 4 foot or 5' lengths. stick cane into welded wire weaving every two or three squares up and down. Fit cane close together when weaving it in. Cut tops of cane off so as not to be "to tall". Stack "mats" flat and tie down with rubber bungee cords on bow of boat. Cane will dry and loose the leaves eventually. But still makes great cover with a natural color and texture. And they will last you all season. Very light and portable too.

Comment

I use them on my kayak, much Better concealment then burlap. Mine are going on they're third season and I may buy some new grass to replace a couple of mats. Main thing is take them down after you hunt and hang them up to dry before you store them.

Comment

Originally posted by Foam Collector View Post
                        Oleander cuttings work well.

that is what I have used for years, stays green all season long...I used to borrow mine from the city of Austin,power and electric yards because they used to plant it along all their fence lines (my oldest brother was a long time AP &E chemist) so I knew which power plants to do my grounds crew impersonation...

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                          Run down to the coast and pick up fresh palm fronds, you can pick them out of brush piles for free, they will last a few years and it gives you a reason to get some fishing in.
                          Being from the coast this is what we always used. The blinds however got touched up before the begining of each season.

Comment

Working...
                          X