Axis and cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis and cold weather

Later tonight my brother and I are going on an axis hunt. It will be in the 30s for the whole weekend, my question is how do axis act in the cold weather? Do they just stay bedded down for most of the day or do they not care to much about the cold and act "normal"? Just trying to get some info to see what the chances are of getting one on the ground.

You will be good

Comment

I went back in December & it wasn't as cold as it is now, but the axis were moving around like whitetail do, morning & evening. Good Luck, send pics.

Comment

Put out alfalfa hay and you will be fine. Was in Bandera recently when it was cold and wet- they were up and feeding.

Comment

They move the same and the windier the better.

Comment

Good luck Gents.!!!

Comment

Alfalfa or chafhaye and the axis will come

Comment

Had about 15 in my backyard today. They have been hitting the feeder like clockwork. It's been in the 30's here all day. You should be fine. Alfalfa will work great. Gonna try in the morning to take a couple. Good luck.

Comment

Cold doesn't bother them a bit. They are hungry right now. Hope to stick a few tomorrow myself here in Boerne.

Comment

I disagree. I've personally shot 37 axis bucks and prolly 25 axis does. When it gets cold they do not move as good. You will still see them but they get up for food and water and then back to the thick brush.

Comment

Working...
                    X