Buddhism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    IMO your issue is with people because people are stupid. Just because people do stupid acts saying it's for Christianity doesn't mean it is. Does God through his word tell people to do any of those things? But yet you refuse to believe in God because people do bad things.

You should (again JMHO) clarify between Christian churches. They are vastly different. Heck some are not even Christian IMO. Or better yet just read the Bible.

Post #59 was the first insult. And it was a big one. Everyone saying Christians get on here and start fights need to read the thread in order.

So now can we get back to a Buddhism discussion?
    I think you may have missed the front page...post 18, 25 and 27 do a pretty good job of throwing shade as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
      Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Not really. Going back to the ranch with the mindset you are going to improve, is ridiculous imo. It says if your eye offend you, pluck it out, if your hand offend you, cut it off. Not put a patch over your eye, so you can peek from time to time, a shackle on your wrist so you can take it off from time to time.This is the mindset of, todays Christian. If you're really worried about hell, your not going back to the ranch PERIOD. It says forsake all, and follow me. Doesn't matter that it's your dads ranch, or all your friends an family are there, etc.. Come ye out from among them, is what I remember. Don't construe my words around to imply witnessing, etc... Totally different. To go back to the ranch and even take a chance, is to be lukewarm imo, and it says he will spew you out of his mouth.
      Now, before you flame, I'm not preaching at you, got lots of beams in my eye, just offering the way I see things. If I truly believed in a everlasting torment & fire, you better believe I would do more than try.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
        I think you may have missed the front page...post 18, 25 and 27 do a pretty good job of throwing shade as well.
        I did miss 18 and 27. 25 I don't see an issue with unless he was making that up.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          I did miss 18 and 27. 25 I don't see an issue with unless he was making that up.
          I think it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but it's what got BoB fired up.

Comment

I find that the action of doing good is enough of a reward in itself to continue to do good.

I feel like I was brainwashed growing up with no real choice in the matter of Church. Then you learn a few things, you see a few things, and you start to make decisions for yourself. It reminds me of Christopher Columbus. It's all hunky dory in elementary History class. Then you grow up, and get ALL the information.

I have seen a few truly good people that some would say are going to hell, to say that I believe in all aspects of being a Christian.

Comment

The history and dedication of Buddhism intrigued me. From the guys setting themselves on fire to the martial arts of the Shaolin Monks to some of their incredible feats of strength. Even their patience.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                It's easy to see why people don't step foot inside a church just from this thread alone. If I were God I wouldn't want a lot of y'all to spread my message. I'd be like...."Nah,I'm good. Thanks."

You know what the worst thing is about Christianity?.....Christians.
                Which posts do you consider as such? Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                  The history and dedication of Buddhism intrigued me. From the guys setting themselves on fire to the martial arts of the Shaolin Monks to some of their incredible feats of strength. Even their patience.
                  I second this. My job takes me to countries like Japan & China and when I see how their spiritual practice permeates every facet of their life down to the most mundane of tasks it's pretty awe inspiring. Constantly seeking mindfulness and perfection in everything you do is a huge feat. Seeing that first hand is one of the reasons I got back into the martial arts (strong roots in Buddhism)...it wasn't about hitting things, rather about truly finding myself and seeking to better myself physically and spiritually.

Comment

Well now aren't you clever? Thank you for that fine demonstration.
                    Sorry, I got jokes, but there are a different sects of Buddhism, and while they share the same basic goal of reaching nirvana through the Buddha's teachings, they vary somewhat in interpretations and practice. It would take a good deal of time to explain all the religious beliefs and the differences between the sects, just like it would to explain Christianity and the difference between Catholics and Protestants.

Comment

I believe in Jesus Christ. I don't go to church on Sunday because of the same reason Mudslinger doesn't go to church. I try to treat everyone the same. It doesn't bother me that Bob might not believe in God. If there was ever a time when I crossed paths with Bob and he needed my help I'd help him. Same goes for you or anyone else. Not because the Bible says I should. I don't need a book or a church to tell me how to be a decent human being. I also don't think I'd be doing anyone any good by getting on here and trying to bully someone into believing in God. I don't know where these people have been in their lives to make them feel the way they do. I have respect for other people's opinions and I ain't gonna try to change nobody. If God steps in to their lives at some point it was meant to happen.

We're all gonna screw up in life. We're all capable of good things. If you're a good person God knows that whether you're in a church on Sunday or sitting in a deer stand. But....That's my personal opinion. I don't get on these threads hardly ever because I'm not God. I don't need to be telling people what they should be doing and what they shouldn't.

I know a lot of people will say "Well you're not a true Christian because you're not spreading the word of God." Re-read this thread and tell me how that's working out so far.
                      Unless I’ve missed something in this thread, which is possible, I’ve yet to see someone attemp to bully another into Christianity.

Comment

Isn’t Tiger a Buddhist?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                          Isn’t Tiger a Buddhist?
                          Yes along with a laundry list of other celebs...Steve Jobs, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Keanu Reeves, Steven Seagal, Penelope Cruz, George Lucas, Mark Zuckerberg, etc. just to name a few

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            To me all religions tie in to an extent, and there are ideas from all that relate. They all get lost in the nuances of culture, at some point though. (Almost all)
                            Very perceptive sir, very perceptive!!!
                            Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                            It seems that treating others the way you want to be treated would be a staple precept of a Christians life. Wait a minute, what's that you're saying? It actually should be?!?! Oops, my bad
                            KInda makes you geaux hum!!!
                            It's easy to see why people don't step foot inside a church just from this thread alone. If I were God I wouldn't want a lot of y'all to spread my message. I'd be like...."Nah,I'm good. Thanks."

You know what the worst thing is about Christianity?.....Christians.
                            Heck, he been saying that since the earliest days of Christianity. Definitely a lot of confusion among the sect's.
                            Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                            For the record I have no ill will towards Christian people. I dont want my post to come off as that. My wife and pretty much all my family are practicing Christians. I apologize to anyone that would of found my post offensive. I just have a hard time being told to bow on my knees when that is exactly what many of my ancestors did while having an axe taken to their neck in the name of such things. Like many have mentioned already; you dont need a book or religion to be a person of good moral construct.
                            Actually I was in full agreement. Not offensive at all...….just HISTORICAL facts concerning my religion of choice. Heck, I grew up a Baptist in a largely Catholic parish. Zero issues between families or the kids. I literally learned that folks did not like the Catholic faith until I was a young adult. When the POPE came to NOLA when we were kids everybody was involved in the event....not just Catholics. LOL, I have been to the Vatican twice just to learn and observe. Yep, being people of good moral character is a dang good start.
                            Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                            Then you learn a few things, you see a few things, and you start to make decisions for yourself. It reminds me of Christopher Columbus. It's all hunky dory in elementary History class. Then you grow up, and get ALL the information.

I have seen a few truly good people that some would say are going to hell, to say that I believe in all aspects of being a Christian.
                            Oh, oh! You stepped in it with the Italian community...…..lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Negative, that's the breakdown that says to me, there is no way this is right.
                              You control your actions, drinking, cussing, and lying. The mindset I'm going to improve, is like laughing in Gods face imo. If a person chooses God, then there shouldn't even be a question, wether you cuss, drink, or lie next weekend lol. You control these actions 100%.
                              Just like if the boss comes in and says, hey don't do that again, or your fired. Are you going to try and improve, or simply say, I'm not doing that again so I can keep my job.
                              If you believe in Heaven and Hell, it's the same thing. Gods says don't do that or you're going to hell. Ok God, thats cool, I'm not gonna die for awhile though, so ima keep on sinning, and try and improve, and ask for forgiveness along the way. Not very serious about Hell, now are we.
                              Now days everyone fits god, around their schedule,( they think they do) and it's laughable.

fixed it for you
                              Last edited by xman59; 09-25-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                                Isn’t Tiger a Buddhist?
                                Not until he took that 9 iron to the dome and wrapped the caddy around the fire plug.

Comment

Working...
                                X