No announcement yet.

Salary Employee’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m salary and just have to work 40 hours per week in any way. May be 8 hours Monday -Friday or 10 hours for 4 days. Anything from 41-47 hours can be used as flex for the following week if approved and everything 48 or over goes to yearly vacation (comp time). Still just need to do whatever it takes to keep the ball rolling and finish my work. Rarely use my flex time but it’s a nice option and stay pretty busy.

Comment

I work a 12 hour day on salary. If I go over and it happens I'm not paid but if I need to leave early or come in late I'm not docked. I stay late way more then leave early but I love my job and it pays well with 5 weeks vacation and 8 paid holidays. It's hard to even think about leaving.

I also answer phones and emails on my off time but again, I do love my job. I was once on my laptop and cell phone helping solve a problem while on a lunch break at the Chaparral WMA.

I'm in an operation position so any day off is OT or comp, my choice.

Comment

It is a slippery slope, in my business you may work 50 plus hours a week 3/4 of the year, the other 1/4 may be 40 or less, if the salary is good then you take the good with the bad, at least you can budget knowing exactly what you will be paid no matter what. Then there is the yearly bonus that comes into play, the more productive the more the bonus. In my short time working for someone else I wanted hours, lots of hours, never was on a salary, would have considered a commission, the more productive the more money.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
          The sad thing is, I feel like I’m slacking if I keep normal hours.
          You should! There are so many that depend on you like the illegal that killed Molly Tibbetts We should all keep making sacrifices for the greater good I feel your pain

Comment

Labor laws aside, I think this greatly varies by industry and position.

Comment

Exempt salary and they get 8-9 hours out of me. Some weekends if needed and late or early as needed. But if I need to leave early or come in late I do. One of the perks of being salary. But phone is always on and laptop comes home daily so never really not working if the need arises

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                What about these labor laws???????
                There are standards that must be met to qualify as an Exempt employee. From what I understand the DOL just assume all employees be non-exempt; at least that's how many of the laws are written. What I mean, is an employer must prove you meet the qualifications to be Exempt; otherwise you default to non-exempt status being subject to OT laws.

Standards include -
                - minimum annual salary (I think it's different per State)
                - Job duties; can't be routine or very structured.
                - Job description has to be pretty wide

In other words, an employer can't just claim a data entry clerk making $30K annually as an Exempt employee. The standards are somewhat sketchy on job duties, but for the most part, if your position requires you to routinely use your judgment, make decisions and requires you to prepare reports or conduct analysis with limited structured provided, it probably qualifies as Exempt. Obviously, it can get pretty grey. The job would also need to meet the minimum salary requirements.

Comment

I used to be salary exempt and got tired of getting bent over (weekends, 12 hr days, being sent offshore, etc), so I found a job that is salary non-exempt: so now when I get bent over, I at least get a reach-around.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                    I used to be salary exempt and got tired of getting bent over (weekends, 12 hr days, being sent offshore, etc), so I found a job that is salary non-exempt: so now when I get bent over, I at least get a reach-around.
                    Now that is funny, don't care who you are.

Comment

Salaried here with a school district and our time is from 7:30 to 4:00 with a 30 minute lunch. With that being said, being a SEBSS teacher and having a bus show up with my kids at 7:15 and no telling how long we have to stay with a kid having problems after the school is out PLUS having a staff meeting with Central Office folks from 3:30 to 4:30 EVERY Wednesday, THEY (Central Office) take serious advantage of our salaried position. PLUS, if any of the hourly people stay, most DO NOT get comp time or overtime. Central Office says, TOUGH!

Comment

At least I’m not alone....

Comment

Love hate situation on salary, yes, you feel as if you're slacking if you're not putting in over 40 but the way I saw it was I also dont get penalized for having to dip out early or being sick.

That being said, my last position was salary and worked me like a dog and wanting to prove myself, I worked over 60 hours a week, got the promotion I wanted but the salary was no longer worth it at that point to me.

Switched industries and now I am 100% commission with no cap. Seems to be the happy medium for me most of the time

Comment

Y’all need to negotiate your pay. In this market, if your worth it you should be able to get a job anywhere. I’m the same as some of the others on here. I too am salary non-exempt. While I am all about staying and doing more,I’m not going to give away my time.

Comment

Salary should be based on a 40 hour work week...go up or down from there.

Ask for clarity on the schedule...if leadership is shady then you know what you are in for.

Good luck!

Comment

40 hours a week is a part time job.....

Comment

Working...
                                X