X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short 3 weeks from today will be in Weed Nm. Im getting pumped

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
      Haha I bought some spray the other day, I'm hoping I'm far enough away from Yellowstone that I won't see any
      I wouldn’t stress, but be bear smart at camp. Also pretty sure you can buy two elk tags, also those elk tags also work for bear, wolf, and lion. But for sure buy a wolf tag. To cheap not too

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
        Short 3 weeks from today will be in Weed Nm. Im getting pumped
        I used to spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods. Enjoy your hunt!

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
          After trying to decide between Colorado and Idaho for my first elk hunt, I finally took the dive and bought an elk A tag for the Island Park zone in Idaho. Success rates are around 20% for the unit I plan on hunting. I have a wall tent I can camp out of and lightweight stuff if I decide to stay in my hunting area. If anyone has any tips for this area, I'd appreciate it.

I’ll drive through Island Park en route to the Ennis area. I’m sure there’s griz there, but the Madison Range west of Yellowstone has lots of ‘em, as does the Gravelies.

Tips for first time elk hunter? Do not look at the antlers as you’re drawing your bow. 100% focus on your shooting spot. Aim small, miss small.

The size of their racks can mess up your concentration and shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Will be in the Gila in three weeks. This is my second trip, and I gotta say the preparation is a big part of the fun. Hard to describe how cool it was to hear a screaming bull for the first time.

Comment

Tagged for later reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a question on elk meat care. I've read that you can use dry ice in cooler for travel but that will freeze meat. Is it ok to defrost later and process and then refreeze? I would like to get meat back to DFW and take to Cinnamon Creek Processing. Other option is to take to processor in New Mexico, they can do a 24 hour turn around but not sure of quality of work

Comment

I have a question on elk meat care. I've read that you can use dry ice in cooler for travel but that will freeze meat. Is it ok to defrost later and process and then refreeze? I would like to get meat back to DFW and take to Cinnamon Creek Processing. Other option is to take to processor in New Mexico, they can do a 24 hour turn around but not sure of quality of work
                  Meat will be fine. Place a bag between meat and dry ice though. It will freezer burn it. Also note that cold goes down not up well so make sure dry ice is on top.

Cape wise be careful with dry ice.

Comment

If anyone knows of someone on the fence about doing a last minute elk hunt, I know a guy with an extra 6A, New Mexico Archery Tag, unit wide. $4,900 + tax.

Thanks

Comment

So it is ok to freeze meat then take to processor to processed which will require it to be thawed and then refrozen???

Comment

So it is ok to freeze meat then take to processor to processed which will require it to be thawed and then refrozen???
                        It’s not ideal, but if properly handled shouldn’t be a problem.

Comment

How many days til everyone hits the road headed west?
                          14 for me and I'm going a little stir crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            360 hrs 15 mins

Comment

Seven days, thirteen hours here...

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                                25 long days away! I knew I should have decided to go early season

Comment

Working...
                                X