No announcement yet.

off the grid water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking into filtration systems for either rain water collection or shallow well that we have at the camp but the water is really bad with iron ore.This system is what I think I might try
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      This is all great information. Thanks.

I watched the video. It seems simple, but I am use to having 2 wells and running as much water as I want.

We have livestock too. We would have livestock on the new place.
      You could always add more storage tanks. The guy in the video had overflow on hard rains. Plus you could set up a livestock barn and have a whole other area for collection for them. I think it's a pretty cool way to live. I guess until it's a drought year and I couldnt shower lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

This is all great information. Thanks.

I watched the video. It seems simple, but I am use to having 2 wells and running as much water as I want.

We have livestock too. We would have livestock on the new place.
        Guessing it doesn't have a stock tank? I would be leary running livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          My neighbor has a bunch of critters. He has been out here for years and has had to haul water once. If you do it right, it works. He collects quite a bit just from dew

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            It does have a stock tank, but it isn't huge. It is probably only 40 yards in diameter. It looks to only be 6 feet deep now, but it is probably 8 feet low.

Comment

No I am not a nutjob. Now that we got that out of the way.

We were looking at a house to buy this weekend and it turns out that the house uses 100% rainwater for everything. It does not have a well and it does not have water to the house. I looked at the rain water catch system and it was 2-8000 gallon tanks. They were both about 3/4 of the way full. I was pretty impressed because besides this weekend we haven't had any rain all summer. The more I thought about it and searched the internet I thought there is no way this will work. The internet says the average person uses 100 gallons per day. We have 4 people in the house. So we use 400 gallons per day. 400 times 30 days in an month is 12,000 gallons per month. I haven't been on a water meter in 20 years. So I don't have any clue if 12,000 gallons a month is right or not. So basically we would need enough rain to fill those tanks 3/4 of the way each month to be ok. I don't see that happening. I guess I could figure out the roof area and figure out how many inches of rain it would require to fill the tanks, but those tanks were about 12 feet high and 12 feet in diameter. I just can't see that happening.

Am I missing something here.
              It doesn't have to rain to collect water. Condensation will add up depending on the roof size. Also, this would depend on where the house is located.

Comment

what sort of filter systems are used? do you clorinate or just go straight rain water

Comment

We considered going the rainwater route when we built a few years ago but scratched it, mainly due to cost compared to doing a well. But I dont think I could handle the stress, I’d be watching that water level like a hawk and hovering over the wife and kids every time they turned on a faucet!ha And if a leak ever sprung outside or something left on you don’t catch in time could run you dry. I know alot that love it just not for me.

Comment

It's all about capacity. In a study that I read about it, the recommended amount was 20,000 gallons per person and that should be enough to last through any drought here in central Texas. You must also think about serious filtration with multiple types of filters.

I have a 24,000 gallon system but just use it for the gardens and water gardens.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Draco; 08-14-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

It’s not that hard to call a water truck.....

We are considering installing an underground cistern for the cabin in Colorado and just having our water trucked in since it will be used for just a vacation spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        It's all about capacity. In a study that I read about it, the recommended amount was 20,000 gallons per person and that should be enough to last through any drought here in central Texas. You must also think about serious filtration with multiple types of filters.

I have a 24,000 gallon system but just use it for the gardens and water gardens.

Do you collect in a smaller container then pump to these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I checked and 3 adults with a sprinkler system average 7000 gal per month...

Comment

There is no ground water in the area. The neighbor just drilled and he gets a max of 1 gallon per minute. That won't do you any good.

The co-op will run water for $60,000. I am sure their water isn't cheap either.
                            1400 Gallons a day won't do any good? Even half that is substantial if it's going into your reservoir.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              1400 Gallons a day won't do any good? Even half that is substantial if it's going into your reservoir.
                              I wasn't thinking about it in combination to the rain water system. I was thinking about it standing alone.

Can a water well pump run non stop? I have always heard that it will burn them up.

If the well is only producing 1g/min, how long until it is sucked dry and needs to replenish?

Comment

I don't think a regular electric well pump could be used with only 1 gpm but a windmill just might work with that amount of water and you don't have to worry about it burning up , you would have to have a large catch tank for it to pump into but you'll probably need that anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X