Feeder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder question

I've not used feeders much I've always assumed it was common practice to run them twice a day setting the times so you can get to a stand without running the deer away before a morning or evening hunt.

I've been wondering if anyone just feeds once a day and if so, when did you have it feed? Thanks

Most probably do it twice a day, especially coming up on the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
      I've not used feeders much I've always assumed it was common practice to run them twice a day setting the times so you can get to a stand without running the deer away before a morning or evening hunt.

I've been wondering if anyone just feeds once a day and if so, when did you have it feed? Thanks
      I have a small bucket feeder I use sometimes if I can't hand corn regularly and will pull it way up a tree and set it for once a day in the morning.

Comment

Too many pigs here to feed at all in evenings in pre season. May as well just not feed at all as it eventually coaxes pigs stay nearby to eat all the morning corn as well.

Comment

Maybe this is common but the place I have the feeder is difficult to ever do a morning hunt because of access, terrain and distance to the property. Morning feeding seems like a waste. I was thinking of only afternoon feeding and they would get used to that and be more likely to show when I can hunt. Plus save me some feeder filling trips. I'm probably over thinking it.

No hogs in this locale (yet).
          Last edited by Lost Arra; 08-06-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

There really isn't a single answer as there are a lot of factors that play into it. Deer population, other animal population that will eat the corn, times you want to hunt, how much corn your willing to pay for and so on. For example, during and a little before deer season I throw 4 times a day, once at day break, once about 2 hours before dark, at dark and 1 hour after dark. After season I only throw at dark and a hour after dark for the pigs. I also have decent amount of deer and a lot of pigs so I set my deer feedings for 7-8 seconds and pig feedings for 10-12 seconds each. At those rates I throw about 300#s of corn a month out of each of my 19 feeders. If your corn isn't being all ate then reduce the amount you throw, I don't have that problem as I could throw much longer times and it would still be all gone the next day because of the pigs. I'm a firm believer that if you have a good population of deer that come to your feeder and you only throw a little corn, you wont have as many deer hitting your feeder as you could have with throwing more corn. Also, getting the corn spread out as good as possible will also help more deer hit the feeder as it's tougher for a dominant deer to guard all the corn.

Comment

Working...
            X