How long to clear customs in ATL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to clear customs in ATL

My wife's flight home from Dominican was delayed and now she only has about an hour from land to departing next flight. Is that enough time to get luggage, clear customs, re-check luggage and get to gate? I don't think it is but haven't been through customs in ATL before.

I'm thinking of going ahead and booking her on the next flight. I can do that with no penalty and can ensure she gets home tonight if that's the case.

Not 100% but I've never cleared customs and caught another flight within an hour. I'd say play it safe and book next flight

Comment

Never been through customs there but that dang airport is busy as all get out. I would think she would be cutting it close if she hustled and the gates were close. I'd go ahead and rebook if it's no extra cost

Comment

ATL on a holiday weekend or any other day is highly unlikely. Book the later flight.

Comment

Depends on airline. Look for a volunteer air port assistance person. They might be able to help you out.

Comment

No way she makes it in time for that flight

Comment

I hate the Atlanta airport. Never had a smooth experience.

Comment

Worst airport in the country. I highly doubt it.

Comment

ok. i rebooked her and her friends to the later flight. Now she had 3 hrs to clear customs. It's 4 women traveling. They all took way too much clothes for a 4 days on the beach and all had to check luggage. So by the time they get luggage, clear customers, recheck luggage, etc. no way they'll be able to go from E to B gates in time. Not to mention they are flying in Delta comfort for 3+ hours with free drinks. I doubt they can walk when they get off the flight. haha

Comment

Man that's way to close, I would have to say NO.

Comment

Sorry I should have read further. Probably a good decision.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                        Man that's way to close, I would have to say NO.
                        Yea i've done it in Laguardia before but didn't know how bad ATL could be. They do say that's ATL is the most efficient airports in the world and it's the only one that I'll actually book trips with 39m layovers because I know I can get gate to gate in 20 min.

Comment

Problem is you have to go back through security to catch another flight.

Comment

TSA Pre-check/Global Entry is so worth it.

Comment

Glad I switched them. One of the other ladies luggage didn't make it so they are dealing with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X