Recoil Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recoil Question

So … I know that recoil (measured in ft lbs), amongst many other things, is highly dependent on the weight of the gun. A pound or two can obviously make a huge difference so my question is - when you're figuring the weight of a gun do you include the weight of the scope as well, or just the gun?

I include everything on the rifle. I usually stand on a scale with the rifle slung and then without a rifle subtract the difference and that is what I use for the weight of the gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Include the weight of the cartridges in the magazine as well--

Comment

stock design (ergonomics) also plays a key role in transferring recoil energy

construction, dimensions, materials, grip angle, monte carlo, cheek piece, thumb hole, recoil pad material, etc .... all affect felt recoil

the plastic Tupperware stocks are the worst

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          stock design (ergonomics) also plays a key role in transferring recoil energy

construction, dimensions, materials, grip angle, monte carlo, cheek piece, thumb hole, recoil pad material, etc .... all affect felt recoil

the plastic Tupperware stocks are the worst
          I agree. Here's my dilemma... I'm putting a scope that's rated for a .375 H&H on a 12 gauge 870 pump. The gun weighs 7.25lbs. When plugging all of the numbers into a recoil calculator, the recoil for 2-3/4" slug surpasses the rating of the scope.

However, if you add the weight of the scope... which bumps it up to 9lbs, the recoil falls below the threshold of the scope.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
            I agree. Here's my dilemma... I'm putting a scope that's rated for a .375 H&H on a 12 gauge 870 pump. The gun weighs 7.25lbs. When plugging all of the numbers into a recoil calculator, the recoil for 2-3/4" slug surpasses the rating of the scope.

However, if you add the weight of the scope... which bumps it up to 9lbs, the recoil falls below the threshold of the scope.
            instead of applying Newton's law of physics and driving yourself crazy with math analytics, call the CS department with your scope manufacturer and see what they say/recommend.

another simple solution, buy this shotgun scope for $50 and be done with it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f80d89e51b274a

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              instead of applying Newton's law of physics and driving yourself crazy with math analytics, call the CS department with your scope manufacturer and see what they say/recommend.

another simple solution, buy this shotgun scope for $50 and be done with it
              Then I wouldn't be able to hunt at night

I've called their CS department already, they've never had someone put their scope on a 12 gauge.

Comment

Quit being a wuss, put it on and try it. Also, take a video in case it explodes. For science.

If your weight with scope is below the threshold, you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                  Quit being a wuss, put it on and try it. Also, take a video in case it explodes. For science.
                  Touché, sir. It's gonna be an expensive experiment but like they say... nothing ventured nothing gained!

Comment

Well not sure what type of stock you have but if you could remove recoil pad add some lead shot . I did it on a 300 tomahawk for bench shooting worked great . Calmed the recoil down to a point it could be shot often without beating me to death

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      Well not sure what type of stock you have but if you could remove recoil pad add some lead shot . I did it on a 300 tomahawk for bench shooting worked great . Calmed the recoil down to a point it could be shot often without beating me to death
                      You add lead shot in the butt of the gun?

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                        You add lead shot in the butt of the gun?

Yes to your question. You can also add other things of weight. And there are several products on the market that say they help with recoil. But I've no experiance with those products. I have lead weight added to my H&R USH 12ga. stock to help with reduce recoil.

Comment

You should be fine, the recoil impulse on a shotgun is softer than on a equivalent rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            Yes to your question. You can also add other things of weight. And there are several products on the market that say they help with recoil. But I've no experiance with those products. I have lead weight added to my H&R USH 12ga. stock to help with reduce recoil.
                            Did a google search on it... seems like a somewhat common practice. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Comment

added some #6 shot ... weight went from 7.25lbs to a little over 10.

Will be close to 12lbs with the scope. Gonna be fun one to lug around!

Comment

Working...
                              X