Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night vision and Thermal equipment help

Guys,

There are many great threads about what equipment is best and budgets.

I have a $1,000.00 budget total to get two items. I am looking at getting a thermal scope and night vision monocular or binoculars.

The use is for hog hunting. I know this budget isn't suitable for top of the line equipment.

Here are some links to some entry level gear I have been looking at. If anyone has experience with these models or other suggestions I would appreciate your help!

iPhone attachment

Thermal scope

Night vision monocular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like having a thermal monocular and a night vision scope. You can scan fields/woods much easier with the thermal and once spotted, use the NV for the kill. Just my $0.02.

Pig hunting at night is a blast.

Comment

I can't think of any thermal that is poor quality that's under $1k.... not even a mono.

In that budget digital is your best option... and your only going to get one or the other.

Having used gen 3, and thermal (neither in your budget), I actually prefer shooting with gen 3 over thermal.... but flashing with thermal is impressive. The digital stuff out now with good Ir is pretty impressive for the money vs older gen 1 and 2 junk that is worthless in my opinion

Comment

^^^^What HoustonHunter said. My night vision scope is great but it's heavy too. I detach it and scan and once I see something I have to remount it on the gun and then find it again e rifle and scope together...the combo is fairly heavy!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
          I like having a thermal monocular and a night vision scope. You can scan fields/woods much easier with the thermal and once spotted, use the NV for the kill. Just my $0.02.

Pig hunting at night is a blast.

Ok thanks! What models did you buy and do you like them?

Comment

I'm looking at the Sightmark Photon or ATN X Sight II.

Comment

I will suggest you change your concept, don't get two devices. For that budget: Buy the best night vision binocular/monocular you can for $900,, and put an dirt cheap < $90 3mw IR pointer on your rifle. This arrangement will be good out to 75 yards. I have a real tight budget, and use a gen two monocular (2 power) instead of binoculars. My whole arrangement was under $350. Note: I wish I had gone with a 4 power monocular.
              Last edited by NightStalker; 12-11-2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                I will suggest you change your concept, don't get two devices. For that budget: Buy the best night vision binocular/monocular you can for $900,, and put an dirt cheap < $90 3mw IR pointer on your rifle. This arrangement will be good out to 75 yards. I have a real tight budget, and use a gen monocular (2x) instead of binoculars. My whole arrangement was under $350. Note: I wish I had gone with a 4x monocular.

Can you mount the Monocular on the rail in front of regular scope?

Comment

no. The focus distance in back of the night vision is about an inch.

I do have a regular scope mounted, the IR pointer is mounted on the barrel and to the left, right behind the muzzle, kind of like a flashlight mount.
                  Last edited by NightStalker; 12-11-2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Can't imagine getting anything worth a dang for that price. Buddies have the ATN NV for $500-600 and they look like crap once you use a top of the line thermal

Rather save up for thermal or buy a sniper hog light then use that cheap NV

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      Can't imagine getting anything worth a dang for that price. Buddies have the ATN NV for $500-600 and they look like crap once you use a top of the line thermal

Rather save up for thermal or buy a sniper hog light then use that cheap NV
                      Do the ATN work? I'm know thermal is the way to go but I don't want to spend that kinda money?

Comment

I appreciate the pointers in how to use the gear. But, I want the thermal on the scope and handheld night vision. Have used both but this is what I prefer. Any pointers on brands or models?

Comment

You really should save your money, anything in your budget range will disappoint you in the field. I speak from experience, the low-end stuff is ineffective, and will be a waste of your hard-earned money. The good stuff is worth the wait, and incredibly fun - because it actually works.

If you can't wait, at a minimum, I would recommend starting with a Pulsar N750 (digital NV), paired with a great IR illuminator (TNVC Torch Pro). You could get both, on sale, for less than $1,500. The Torch Pro greatly extends the effective range of the N750. You will be able to consistently shoot hogs inside 150 yards.

Comment

What about the seek thermal devices for android?

Comment

I have a PVS-14 and just picked up a IR laser. I need to get an offset rail mount so I can mount it on my .300 blackout to hunt with my eotech. I also have a bike helmet mount I can use now with the IR laser and I won't need the scope. Here is a bad video of it at the lease. Trying to keep my phone on the lenses to record at night was hard. I use it to walk in when I bow hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X