Do Wasps eat (cut) leaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Wasps eat (cut) leaves?

Planted this Chinese Parasol last year, with no issues.

So far this year, every new leaf that pops up get ripped to shreds by something...

Have only seen very tiny ants climbing up and down the stalks, and several occasions seen small yellow jackets hovering around or lit on a leaf. Haven't found any nests nearby, but I suspect they are the culprits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leaves (600 x 292).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	25148187

Name:	Capture.JPG
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	25148188

Could be leaf cutter ants. Check it during cool weather (evening or night). That's when they move up and down the trees removing leaves. Some wasps will cut pieces of leaves for their nests. Not yellow jackets though. I suspect it's leaf cutters. If so, they are not easy to kill. Best I've usually been able to do is to get them to move to the neighbor's property.

Comment

Leaf cutter ants or caterpillars...…...leaf cutters tend to start on the ends though. Caterpillars will work the middle like your pics. I don't see wasps doing that. AMDRO has a leaf cutter blend that works. I worked with some extension agents on test plots when it was developed back in the late 90"s.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        Leaf cutter ants or caterpillars...…...leaf cutters tend to start on the ends though. Caterpillars will work the middle like your pics. I don't see wasps doing that. AMDRO has a leaf cutter blend that works. I worked with some extension agents on test plots when it was developed back in the late 90"s.
        Does Amdro still make that? I remember buying it and finding it to be the only thing to actually kill them. Then when I looked about 5-10 years ago, I couldn't find it. I emailed Amdro asking about it and they gave me some story about controlling them with something that didn't really work, all while not addressing the question I had asked: "Where is Amdro Leaf Cutter Ant Killer"? I don't need it living in DFW, but when we were in the valley, I sure did.

Comment

Are these leaf cutter ants large or small... the only ants I've seen anywhere near it are what we usually refer to as p*ss ants.

Name:	Capture.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	24542218
          Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 06-04-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Not sure. I left the ag speciality markets in 2001. Sales were regional at best but it did definitely work!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
              Are these leaf cutter ants large or small... the only ants I've seen anywhere near it are what we usually refer to as p*ss ants.

[ATTACH]910443[/ATTACH]
              Leaf Cutter Ants are about the same size as regular red harvester ants.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                Never seen them that small , but there are thousands of ant subspecies. Did you try 7 Dust yet??

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                  Thanks. Never even seen a Havester bed anywhere nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    Never seen them that small , but there are thousands of ant subspecies. Did you try 7 Dust yet??

Tried the spray but not actual dust. Also, I will add... do NOT ever put Neem Oil on anything you don't want to almost kill. Bought some of that "organic/all natural" crap on the advice of some tree hugger... it did more damage to tree and every outdoor plant my wife sprayed it on. The tree leaves looked like boiled spinach the next day.

And it stinks all to be-****.

Comment

Wasps have to get pulp to make paper nests... not sure if that is what’s happening here but it can happen.

Comment

WAG here

wasps are after whatever pest is eating leaves

Probably some kind of worm/caterpillar

Comment

My dad was telling me he was at a nursery a few weeks ago looking at roses. He noticed one of the workers would kill some sort of bug on the roses bushes every so often. He finally went over and asked him what he was doing. The guy was killing wasps that were cutting pieces of leaves from the rose bushes. Guy said customers see the leaves and think they are infested with worms and not buy them.
                          Last edited by SneakyPhil; 06-04-2018, 09:40 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Could be cut bees

Comment

Working...
                            X