Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    If y’all could name 5 pieces of gear that are a must have for this hunt, specifically bowhunting, what would they be? Looking for some good tips. I won’t be using a bike, and I plan on using a chair with some camo burlap to conceal myself. Any advice surrounding that would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Permethrin, camelback, portable phone charger, rubber boots, bow sling

Comment

1. Good pack, somthing you can hold lunch, 2-3 liters of water, all your stuff and be comfortable carry a few miles.
      2. Good light, come in at dark, leave at dark
      3. Good boots, if your going to walk, need good boots. Mine are cheap, but broken in well.
      4. Lots of water. It’s heavy, but you’ll drink it down/get lighter on way out
      5. GPS,good mapping system. Especially good if it maps your walking track. It can be easy to get turned around in thick stuff. Sometimes the way you wandered in, maybe only way to wander out.

These are not in order of importance. I left off standard hunting stuff.

Comment

Permithrin, good back pack, game cart, comfortable seat/tripod, comfortable waterproof boots.

Comment

Phone charger is good one. You could just stay off it, and battery will last almost all day. It would be hard to chat on here though. Lol

I’ve been in 8, 5, 3. I really haven’t seen the need for rubber boots. Most rubber boots I’ve seen are not comfortable for walking long distances. I’m not seeing a lot. Maybe I need to be in the wetter areas.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post

2. Good light, come in at dark, leave at dark

Anyone have a good recommendation for a high powered red headlamp? Anyone use these? I have one that's weak and looking for a new one.

Comment

If y’all could name 5 pieces of gear that are a must have for this hunt, specifically bowhunting, what would they be? Looking for some good tips. I won’t be using a bike, and I plan on using a chair with some camo burlap to conceal myself. Any advice surrounding that would be greatly appreciated.

Comfortable rubber walking boots, rangefinder, tick repellant, face mask, patience. Leave the phone in the truck. Too many aholes talking on the phone in the field.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody loose a flashlight? Has green flip top cover. Think it said streamlighight

Comment

Why won’t you use a bike? Truly makes it so much easier to get away from the masses of “walk-in” hunters. Honestly I would not use the burlap either. Those animals are so smart. I think they would notice the burlap and difference in scenery and bolt outa there before you have a chance. They dang sure did when I was using a pop up my first time down there so I never took it again.
                  In the two years I’ve hunted there, I took a totally different approach from first to second year. Less gear and lighter gear for sure. I went further away than I did the first year and saw 4 times as many animals and way less people. A bike was key to my approach being different.

Items I would say to take would be.
                  Great back pack
                  Game cart
                  Comfortable knee high boots
                  Good Binos
                  PATIENCE

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                    Why won’t you use a bike? Truly makes it so much easier to get away from the masses of “walk-in” hunters. Honestly I would not use the burlap either. Those animals are so smart. I think they would notice the burlap and difference in scenery and bolt outa there before you have a chance. They dang sure did when I was using a pop up my first time down there so I never took it again.

In the two years I’ve hunted there, I took a totally different approach from first to second year. Less gear and lighter gear for sure. I went further away than I did the first year and saw 4 times as many animals and way less people. A bike was key to my approach being different.

Items I would say to take would be.

Great back pack

Game cart

Comfortable knee high boots

Good Binos

PATIENCE

Just bought a house and don’t have money or time to outfit a bike for Laguna. I’m pretty used to some hard hiking so I won’t have an issue getting away from others. So you’re saying no cover just a chair?

Comment

Just bought a house and don’t have money or time to outfit a bike for Laguna. I’m pretty used to some hard hiking so I won’t have an issue getting away from others. So you’re saying no cover just a chair?

Where are you located? If you more close to San Antonio or will be traveling thru the area for your hunt, you can def use one of my bikes. Just speaking from my experience with being spotted before I see the animals, I’d say no. Or I wouldn’t take anything that would change the landscape anyway. I used my ghost blind last year and it worked pretty good. I think you need some cover but the burlap would look different than the brush and it would stand out.

If or when I get drawn for Lanwr again, I will take a tripod and my ghost blind.

Comment

Any new pics of the board? What did y'all see tonight?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                          Where are you located? If you more close to San Antonio or will be traveling thru the area for your hunt, you can def use one of my bikes. Just speaking from my experience with being spotted before I see the animals, I’d say no. Or I wouldn’t take anything that would change the landscape anyway. I used my ghost blind last year and it worked pretty good. I think you need some cover but the burlap would look different than the brush and it would stand out.

If or when I get drawn for Lanwr again, I will take a tripod and my ghost blind.

I’ll be headed from Houston, San Antonio would make it a long trip but I sincerely appreciate the offer. I thought about a tripod but hiking in I feel like the tripod would be too much to haul. I’ll probably make best use of the natural brush and some good ole fashioned sitting still.

Comment

I’ll be headed from Houston, San Antonio would make it a long trip but I sincerely appreciate the offer. I thought about a tripod but hiking in I feel like the tripod would be too much to haul. I’ll probably make best use of the natural brush and some good ole fashioned sitting still.

Understand. I used a millenium t100 tripod for my hunt at lower rio grande couple weeks ago. It’s 35 lbs and is super comfortable. Holler at me anytime if you need help. I would love to be at Latina again this year. My favorite place to hunt even though I’m 0 for 2.

Comment

I didnt care for my last spot so I moved in to the thick and found another group of cows. Found a small watering hole they have been hammering in the middle of the thicket. I sat over it this evening and saw pigs but no nilgai. Headed back to the area in the morning. I saw nilgai, whitetail and pigs today. Way more than ive seen all hunt. Hope to get something on the ground tomorrow.
                              Last edited by TXFireFighter; 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Permethrin spray for sure. Good boots to cover a lot of ground. Comfy small chair. Good maps(i use huntstand for android). I would not use burlap or any kind of popup blind. Find natural cover and add to it if need be. These animals are too smart. Get in the thick stuff and find trails to sit over. They wont walk through open areas unless they need to.
                                Last edited by TXFireFighter; 11-18-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X