Help ID this old plow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ID this old plow.

I picked this old plow while helping clear up a friends property. Never seen one like this. It’s in good shape. Anybody know what it is? Can’t seem to figure out the adjustment part on the front. I drug it around last week to break up a little ground so I could plant some Wildlife mix seeds.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D62B9F74-635B-43DD-8214-9B1B56B1BF98.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	25163930

Hers another picture

Name:	1E054585-66F4-4101-9D57-A95075E0B021.jpeg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24560306

Comment

Old disc. We have one we use o food plots that similar. My grandma told me it was a disc the used when making roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a disc harrow, not a plow. Used by farmers to break up clods and smooth out the fields after plowing.

Comment

That’s a disk. People from Texas call them a plow. Don’t know why.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            That’s a disk. People from Texas call them a plow. Don’t know why.
            It’s because they’re so accustomed to disc plows and don’t know the difference between a disc plow and a disc harrow. I don’t expect many people that aren’t actually farmers to know the difference. There’s tons of implements out there that all look similar but have very different purposes

Comment

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
              It’s because they’re so accustomed to disc plows and don’t know the difference between a disc plow and a disc harrow. I don’t expect many people that aren’t actually farmers to know the difference. There’s tons of implements out there that all look similar but have very different purposes
              Must be why. This is a plow.

Name:	9ECB12F3-67E7-46D7-82D3-9AD050D1ABB8.jpeg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24560307

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                That is a disc harrow, not a plow. Used by farmers to break up clods and smooth out the fields after plowing.
                Beat me to it.
                In softer soils it'll do for prepping ground for a plot.

Gary

Comment

I believe thats a double offset. The 2 front gangs angle away from the center and the rear gangs angle back to the center. Thats an old one.

Comment

And this is a harrow. I don’t know where y’all come up with these names?

Name:	86B91DA7-95DB-4035-9108-DC51DAB4E3D8.jpeg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	24560308

Comment

And this is a harrow. I don’t know where y’all come up with these names?

[ATTACH]934033[/ATTACH]
                      Thats a tooth harrow not a disc harrow.

Comment

Must be why. This is a plow.
                        [ATTACH]934030[/ATTACH]
                        That is a bottom plow.

Comment

That is a bottom plow.
                          Actually a moldboard plow. 8 bottom.

Comment

Actually a moldboard plow. 8 bottom.

Bottom Plow

A regular bottom plow is a useful gardening instrument and will break up soil at a significant depth. It turns the soil and buries any existing weeds or grasses. It is often called a moldboard plow. The main difference between this traditional plow design and the turning plow is that when dropping soil, the bottom plow tends to switch between downhill and uphill with each pass. Bottom plows are ideal for use on flat ground and adequately break up clay or heavily compacted soil. They do not create a ridge between rows as middle buster plows do.

They were called bottom plows when I first started plowing with one 60 years ago.

Comment

Bottom Plow

A regular bottom plow is a useful gardening instrument and will break up soil at a significant depth. It turns the soil and buries any existing weeds or grasses. It is often called a moldboard plow. The main difference between this traditional plow design and the turning plow is that when dropping soil, the bottom plow tends to switch between downhill and uphill with each pass. Bottom plows are ideal for use on flat ground and adequately break up clay or heavily compacted soil. They do not create a ridge between rows as middle buster plows do.

They were called bottom plows when I first started plowing with one 60 years ago.
                              Not disagreeing. We called them 4 bottom, 5 bottom, etc. Now that was only 44 years ago when I started plowing when I was 8 .

Comment

Working...
                              X