Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertigo the Spin Demon who has had it?

Sorry for the long read—
    So the spin demons came to me Christmas Eve/morning about 2:30am. I had gone to bed around midnight and my wife was up finishing wrapping gifts etc. It woke me up out of a deep sleep and I fell out of bed. Stumbled to get up and had to lean on the bed trying to figure out what in the world was going on. Afraid I was going to blow chow all over my bed, I stumble to my bathroom sink. I stand there trying to figure out what was going on and the whole world was upside down. My phone was charging on the counter so I called my wife in. She was in the front room still getting ready for Christmas and immediately came to me. I told her I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack. Couldn’t catch my breath and pouring sweat! She called 911 and they took me to the ER. That ambulance ride was rough!! I threw up everything I had eaten in the past 30years! Once in the ER, they sedated me and quickly figured out I wasn’t dying. (The EMS guys already knew this, they were awesome). I woke up about 6:30am and they discharged me with Vertigo. Got a prescription for mescaline. So I limped through Christmas Day, my wife got the flu and two of my three kids had just gotten their tonsils out so they weren’t feeling great. Thought I was doing pretty good but the spin demons came to me Wednesday night around 2am. I stood in the bathroom for a while until it calmed down then got back in bed. Suffered through most of Thursday and finally told my wife I was going to go check in to the hospital. Thankfully my Mom and great friend and fellow TBHer, HouCav, drove me to the hospital and hung with me until 3am when I was admitted. They also got to listen to me blow my guts out while we waited to see the doctor. Turns out the best meds are some Zofran and a Valium and I was night night. Slept until Friday noon, wake up to have an MRI and some other tests, meet with doctors and get discharged. The spin demons haven’t been back and I’m praying they don’t visit again. Straight period. I’ve got follow up doctor appointments next week.

So who has had it and what did you use to get through it?

Prayers Up for you. Hope everything turns out ok.

Comment

I had it. Started feeling a little off while driving to work one AM. Had a staff meeting and I stood up, looked at my boss and weeeeeeeeeeeeee, the spins really hit and hit hard. They put me in a room, dropped in an IV, some IV fluids, Meclizine, Phenergan for the vomiting and a brain CT. Yes, I work in an ER. One of the worst experiences I've had. Meclizine worked for me. I have not had it since that episode. Knock on the proverbial wood.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
        I had it. Started feeling a little off while driving to work one AM. Had a staff meeting and I stood up, looked at my boss and weeeeeeeeeeeeee, the spins really hit and hit hard. They put me in a room, dropped in an IV, some IV fluids, Meclizine, Phenergan for the vomiting and a brain CT. Yes, I work in an ER. One of the worst experiences I've had. Meclizine worked for me. I have not had it since that episode. Knock on the proverbial wood.
        Sounds like mine. The mescaline quit working after day one. Then the spins came back. It’s awful.

Comment

Got it once, from a sinus infection that got into my ears. Started feeling "odd" one night. Got home and laid down on the couch (I had been separated from the ex for a short time at that point). Woke up the next morning to go to the bathroom and took one step forward and two sideways. I knew something was wrong but didn't know what. Started feeling nauseated. Tried taking a shower and when I closed my eyes to wash my hair, I fell out of the shower. Drove myself to the ER to get checked out, got diagnosed with Vertigo. Didn't get any scripts or anything, just told to take it easy and it will pass, eventually. Took a week before I was feeling right again. Best way I can describe it is like being on a week long drunk, but not ever wearing off.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
            Sounds like mine. The mescaline quit working after day one. Then the spins came back. It’s awful.
            I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hopefully, the spin demons are exercised.

Comment

Man I feel for you. Years ago when I was in high school a buddy came out with me to Utopia to hunt. We hunted the first cold and icy morning and we both shot bucks then stayed at the house for the evening. I was in the bathroom and I heard a crash and my buddy was on the floor trying to get up.

I had no idea what was wrong and neither did he but I called EMS and they came and took him to Uvalde. Vertigo they said and he was miserable. Our three day hunting trip turned into 4 but I got him home.

They gave him a shot of something that helped out a lot but he kept a mop bucket on the floorboard on the way home and unfortunately for both him and me he had to use it a few times.

He said that it was the worst feeling in the world.

Sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure that it scared the heck out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                Man I feel for you. Years ago when I was in high school a buddy came out with me to Utopia to hunt. We hunted the first cold and icy morning and we both shot bucks then stayed at the house for the evening. I was in the bathroom and I heard a crash and my buddy was on the floor trying to get up.

I had no idea what was wrong and neither did he but I called EMS and they came and took him to Uvalde. Vertigo they said and he was miserable. Our three day hunting trip turned into 4 but I got him home.

They gave him a shot of something that helped out a lot but he kept a mop bucket on the floorboard on the way home and unfortunately for both him and me he had to use it a few times.

He said that it was the worst feeling in the world.

Sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure that it scared the heck out of you.
                I told a friend of mine that I’ve never been close to dying but sure thought I was Christmas Eve. I really kept waiting for the lights to go out, even prayed for it a few times......

Comment

Wife had it awhile back, vertigo.. Same thing awful equilibrium and vomiting( like when sea sick).

Believed one Dr said she has crystals in her ear that develop and cause the problem.

Hope yours stops like they usually do

Comment

I fished offshore for 30 years and never got sick , I started getting sea sickness and vertigo,
                    A MRI revealed a 8mm tumor on my vestibular nerve and facial nerves, a 14 hour surgery, and 6 months of blindness and balance rehab and daily doses of phinagrn I was finally able to regain enough balance control to walk and drive to store, but I did loose 80 lbs throwing up every 20 minutes
                    I am 15 years out of surgery and still can't use a ladder and not throw up some days
                    Phinagren and Valium are a god send on bad days , I did fish some after that
                    So I know your pain well
                    It is so weird to lay flat on my back and have entire room spinning around
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-30-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      I fished offshore for 30 years and never got sick , I started getting sea sickness and vertigo,
                      A MRI revealed a 8mm tumor on my vestibular nerve and facial nerves, a 14 hour surgery, and 6 months of blindness and balance rehab and daily doses of phinagrn I was finally able to regain enough balance control to walk and drive to store, but I did loose 80 lbs throwing up every 20 minutes
                      I am 15 years out of surgery and still can't use a ladder and not throw up some days
                      Phinagren and Valium are a god send on bad days , I did fish some after that
                      So I know your pain well
                      Holy cow! Sorry that you had that. Sounds like you’re on the better side of it now.

Comment

Don’t get me started....wouldn’t wish vertigo on anyone. Had 3 bouts fall 2015 and spring 2016. Spent about 15 days in bed and took months to get over it. I still have some balance issues and can’t do some things I could before. Lots of testing for me yet no definitive cause was determined. I fear one day it will return.

Comment

Oh man I had this one time. It scared the crap out me. Mine was a piece of debris or something that turned loose in my inner ear. I woke up with my head spinning laying down. My first thought was “am I drunk!?!” because everything kept spinning even with my eyes closed. I tried to stand up to go to the bathroom and fell over. Crawled the rest of the way. I was single at the time so I called my mom I was freaking out so much lol.

Mine just cleared up eventually and hasn’t come back. It sure sucked though.

Comment

I have. IT IS TERRIBLE. I was basically incapacitated for 3 days. Mine is much better, but still get dizzy if I look straight up and lose may balance from time to time.

Comment

It hit my buddy hard a few months ago, we stayed out all night fishing and I called him that next day he was in the hospital. He ended up staying in there a week until they diagnosed him with MS he’s had it pretty rough since.

Comment

Working...
                              X