child punishment ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
    I think a man to man talk with him might go over better than strictly punishment. We were all kids once and likely did the exact same thing but never got caught. Good luck with your decision.

Skinny
    The punishment is for getting caught

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
      I think a man to man talk with him might go over better than strictly punishment. We were all kids once and likely did the exact same thing but never got caught. Good luck with your decision.

Skinny
      Agreed 100%

I have found out my 19yo was doing some things he shouldn't be doing back in the summer. We had a heart to heart about doing things cuz someone else is or that hanging with the wrong crowd can get you in some big trouble that mom and dad can't fix. I think he truly took that to heart, at least I hope he did. I told him if he wanted to stay at Tech and continue to have a nice truck then he better straighten up. I told him that you have one chance at college on me, if you screw it up you will be back home riding a bicycle to work and taking night classes on the computer that you will pay for. So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
        I've seen the "Make him do it until he pukes". Friend got caught drunk and his dad made him sit at the dinner table until he puked. 9 years later, he kills a 12 pack every night and is a raging alcoholic. He's going to do what he's going to do. Best thing is to show him what getting addicted to snuff can lead to: being broke all the time, nasty stains, gross breath, missing jaw, stained fingers etc..
        A 12 pack of beer makes you a raging alcoholic?

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
          He is 14 years old. He is usually a good kid.
          Have a man to man talk with him. Tell him how disappointed you are in his decision making and you expect this to be the last discussion about it too. You can also tell him his picker will fall off if he doesn't stop, just for some added grins.

Comment

have him look at this!

Have him look at these... Print them out and put them on the mirror in his bathroom.

ttps://www.google.com/search?q=pics+of+mouth+cancer+from+chewing+tobacco &rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa= X&ved=0ahUKEwjBh6nL9vPXAhUD2SYKHWmWAJYQ_AUICigB&bi w=1920&bih=989

Comment

Originally posted by hogdoggintexas View Post
              A 12 pack a night? Yes. I'd say that's extreme alcoholism & chemical dependency. If he could afford more, I'm sure he'd drink more. Would your definition of a raging alcoholic only include a bottle of liq/night(Which if my math serves me right is only 4 drinks more)

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrizzly90 View Post
                Have a man-to-man talk with him and then show him the pictures of what happens from using it.
                Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                Best thing is to show him what getting addicted to snuff can lead to: being broke all the time, nasty stains, gross breath, missing jaw, stained fingers etc..
                This...and tell him that not one single person ever set out to get cancer, nor thought when they started that they would get it. We are all "invincible" as teenagers. But facts are different than our teenage ideas...ha

Comment

Originally posted by hogdoggintexas View Post
                  A 12 pack per night?

Comment

My suggestion is to take your boy out for a day of fishing when there's a good stiff breeze (not whitecapping or dangerous) and offer him a big old chaw. Nothing like that feeling of being trapped on a boat with nothing left inside you to puke out.

Or, him being 14, take a poll of girls his age who would just love to kiss a boy with yellow teeth and baccy-breath.

Comment

I think that makes him a alcoholic. I don't see that as a raging alcoholic.

Comment

man to man talk and show him some pics of what he would look like once he loses half his jaw tongue etc.

Comment

The one thing I would do is sit down with him and talk it out--with facts and not emotion. Yelling and screaming comes across in the wrong way. Facts--health impact, cost, all-around nastiness of the habit, etc need to be the main topic. Do your research first so when he googles it later he'll get the same info you told him (google is smarter and has more credibility than dads at his age).

We just finished up a 3-session Sunday School lesson on raising teens, and setting standards and discipline were important parts, but I think the most important part was insuring you have open communication channels and you talk with (and not just at) your teen frequently.

Might also be that you telling him of your disappointment in him will carry far more weight than all the chores and loss of privileges will. Not saying there shouldn't be consequences, but make sure you think it through before you impose it, and get the wife's buy-in too so it is consistent.

That's all I got but I wish you the best.

Comment

First time offense stick with the grounding, chores, and a man-to-man heart-to-heart about tobacco products. Second time offense; drop the hammer.

I started young and have quit several times for years at a time, but always seem to get back on it for one reason or another. It is a very expensive habit and am currently trying to kick it again...it's very hard; I think about it all the time.

Comment

Make him write a paper on the cons of tobacco and go to class and educate his friends and others in class. Might smooth stuff over with school too if your lucky. It will be awkward and embarrassing for him but educational.

Comment

Just don't let him watch Predator.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X