Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patton View Post
    Camping out in Wood county with some family when we cooked a big pot of chili one night. Went out for #2 in the middle of the night and must have got turned around because I quickly lost camp. The chili butt was killing me and I stumbled around all night crapping myself and shedding layers to wipe my rear. It was freezing cold that night and I saw a box blind as the sun rose and ran right to it in my birthday suit to try and warm up. Opened the door and some guy was in there, shocked none the less, pointing a 30-06 at me. Ended up finding my way back to camp that day ready to go home. On the way back home, through Kinney County, my aunt got hit with the chili butt and had to pull over and take a deuce behind an Oak mott. Nobody was around but it looked like a great deer hunting spot.
    Perfect! You put some thought into that ha ha.

Comment

These are pure greatness
      Attached Files

Comment

Saw my share of illegals while hunting in South Texas, but my most unusual story does not involve them. I had hunted a Friday afternoon early in the season and I had all the windows open since it was quite warm. For whatever reason, I left the windows open when I left that evening. The next morning I climbed up into the tower blind without turning on my flashlight, after all I knew where everything was in the blind. I sat there for a awhile and I started to get the feeling I was not alone. I flipped the flashlight on and there staring back at me was a f'ng bat. I stomped the crap out of him and kicked him out the door. Lesson learned, I always close my windows when I leave the blind

Comment

Originally posted by patton View Post
          camping out in wood county with some family when we cooked a big pot of chili one night. Went out for #2 in the middle of the night and must have got turned around because i quickly lost camp. The chili butt was killing me and i stumbled around all night crapping myself and shedding layers to wipe my rear. It was freezing cold that night and i saw a box blind as the sun rose and ran right to it in my birthday suit to try and warm up. Opened the door and some guy was in there, shocked none the less, pointing a 30-06 at me. Ended up finding my way back to camp that day ready to go home. On the way back home, through kinney county, my aunt got hit with the chili butt and had to pull over and take a deuce behind an oak mott. Nobody was around but it looked like a great deer hunting spot.
          lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It was a cool morning a few seasons ago, I sat still, drinking coffee and chewing a plug of Levi Garrett until approximately 9:30 AM. Then it hit me a rumbling, grumbling urge to relieve myself. The coffee and tobacco mixture had done worked its course and there was no holding back the demons that were trying to get out.

I waddled myself through the rocky cactus clad cedar country to the perfect spot that I had already scoped out from my perch, high in the sky. It had a perfect "leaning branch" as I like to call it.

Upon relieving myself I covered the evidence with a couple of rocks and went back to my perch, high in the sky. No more than 10 minutes later, a young spike buck appeared in the road to the East of me for his mid-morning brunch. After suppressing his appetite, he continued on to the West, I assume to his bedding area.

You may remember that it told you it was a cool morning, it was actually the morning of a cool front, with a slight North wind. You see this now comes in to play with the fact that this deer was to my East, travelling West, and was due to cross paths with the fragrance of the previously mentioned "demons". I prepared myself to see what this encounter may teach me.

Low and behold, not more than 15 yards due South of my relieving station, he stopped, turned his nose to the air, and an extremely puzzled look came across his face. He then bee-lined straight toward the source of the foreign fragrance and began to investigate. I could not believe what I was seeing. He was not scared, more curious than anything. After sufficient investigation, the spike bucked around like a brahman bull trying to throw a cowboy to the dirt, and made his way, ever so nonchalantly to his bedding area to the West.

The End.

Comment

I was sitting at the base of a tree and an owl ran me off while it was still dark. it kept swooping closer and closer until I could feel the wind from its wings. I left at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Rchr View Post
                Place: Laguna Atascosa NWR

I have a few myself but a good one that comes to mind is one that happened at Laguna Atascosa NWR. I went to my truck to get a bite to eat close to noon time, and another hunter was already at his truck eating. We were parked off of the FM road across from some private land. While we were talking, I see an old guy on that private land come out walk across a corral where they had some ostrich's, one of the ostriches runs over to the old guy and starts pecking at him and we both stopped talking and are just watching the whole thing wondering What the .....? The old man and the ostrich are fighting and the old man all of a sudden puts in a lucky swing and gives the ostrich like a right hook and that ostrich just staggered backwards but never fell, it kind of just stood there for a few seconds kind of dazed. We could here the old man cussing and swearing at the bird and he immediately went over and pick up a big stick or a pipe of some sort. The ostrich didn't want nothing to do with that stick. The old man continued across the corral cussing and telling that bird off. At that point we were both laughing our heads off.
                This is awesome It something that could of been in Napoleon Dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by Rchr View Post
                  Place: Laguna Atascosa NWR

I have a few myself but a good one that comes to mind is one that happened at Laguna Atascosa NWR. I went to my truck to get a bite to eat close to noon time, and another hunter was already at his truck eating. We were parked off of the FM road across from some private land. While we were talking, I see an old guy on that private land come out walk across a corral where they had some ostrich's, one of the ostriches runs over to the old guy and starts pecking at him and we both stopped talking and are just watching the whole thing wondering What the .....? The old man and the ostrich are fighting and the old man all of a sudden puts in a lucky swing and gives the ostrich like a right hook and that ostrich just staggered backwards but never fell, it kind of just stood there for a few seconds kind of dazed. We could here the old man cussing and swearing at the bird and he immediately went over and pick up a big stick or a pipe of some sort. The ostrich didn't want nothing to do with that stick. The old man continued across the corral cussing and telling that bird off. At that point we were both laughing our heads off.

That guy has a reputation for fighting wildlife...Pretty sure he's the same one from the picture

Attached Files

Comment

My lease is bordered by Sabine NF on 3 sides. Late December and it was actually cold that winter. Climbed outta the blind about an hour after dark, started the 400 yd hike to a crossroad that another lease member and his son were gonna meet me after they got outta their stand. Made it about 200 yds when I heard some rustling in the brush behind me. I had forgotten my flashlight in the stand but the moonlight was pretty bright, the rustling got louder and closer. It sounded big....real big. I never saw what it was, I figured big hog since they run rampant on our property. I chucked a rock into the brush and heard it haul arse the opposite direction. Took a few steps and heard a loud, eerie howl that seemed to last forever and sounded like the animal was standing right next to me. It was a wolf howl, I was told they were out there in the NF but never heard or saw any sign until that night. My buddy called me on the walkie talkie to say it was right next to him. That was the most uneasy feeling I've ever experienced. But it was really cool to hear that from a wild animal instead of in a movie. Now I always carry at least 3 flashlights when I head out to the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      One evening I was in a tree stand overlooking a field. It was a still and quiet evening. Several does and a couple small bucks had made their way into the field. All of a sudden I could hear from the woods what sounded like a person walking. The leaves crunching and twigs breaking under the footsteps. All the deer looked in the direction of the sound I was hearing. I just knew a poacher was about to ruin my hunt. The steps got louder until I knew any second the person was going to walk into the field. Well the noise entered the field then I could just barely hear steps in the grassy field. I also couldn't see anyone. However, every deer was looking at the same location. In unison their eyes followed "something" from one side of the field to the other! All the deer watched with their eyes moving across this field. The object they were looking at was about 50 yards from me, but nothing was there! The grass in the field was only about 6"-8" and I was 20 yards up a tree with a full view. After the deer watched the "noise" move across the field they went right back to feeding! Freaked me out! I got down before dark that day

I know a good Optometrist I can recommend!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        Had an owl land on the window ledge about 2 ft from my face, scared the **** out of both of us.
                        I had the exact thing happen, right before dawn. I almost needed new pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwoods View Post
                          Father and I were in a box stand many years back watching a pipeline in two directions. The stand was all wood and about 5 feet off the ground. As we sat, a squirrel making all kinds of noise appeared on the other side of the pipeline about 20 yards from us. Barking, squealing and having a ball, at first he was entertaining, it soon turned to annoying. My father turned to me and said I wish the Dam thing would shut up. Few seconds later the barking squirrel crosses the pipelined right towards our stand. He gets to our stand, and you can hear his claws as he is climbing up the legs. My father stands up to look out the front window, whispering to me that f’n thing is coming up here. I couldn't resist and reached over and pinched my father on the butt. Keep in mind, at that moment my Father was sure were being invaded by a crazy squirrel. He screamed and jump sky high, nearly knocking the roof off the stand.

We saw no deer that day, mainly because very few minutes I would look his way and break into laughter. Never did see that squirrel again.
                          Greatness! lol

Comment

Haven't read the other ones, but this one might take the cake. While walking back to get the truck and pick up a deer I shot in my evening hunt, I ran into this guy at dark. He said he was lost, I told him he was trespassing and needed to get off the property and sent him on his way to the nearest town...I didn't find out until later that night who he was and what he was doing in remote South TX:
                            Last edited by DimmitCo; 11-17-2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I was calling dogs in a pasture one day and had jackrabbit bounce off the ground about 30ft in front of me. Blew my mind until i noticed the hawk circling.

Comment

I was on a buddies ranch in cotulla. First and only time I have been to this ranch, his grandmas husband (I guess his step granddad?) wanted every native deer he owned shot because he was bringing in bred does and some breeder bucks. My buddy, me, and 2 other buddies go down there all in one truck. First night there we drive around so we can figure out where the blinds are (all of our first and only times at this ranch) so we know where to go in the morning. Well since we all came in one truck we left for the blinds fairly early so the last guy could drop everyone off and park the truck and get in his blind at a decent time still.These blinds are probably the tallest blinds ive ever been in. Anyway, I got in the blind fairly early and decided to take a little nap until day light. About the time I started dozing off an owl flew into the closed window of the blind, sounded like a gun shot and the entire blind was shaking. Needless to say I was no longer needed a nap, I was wide awake the rest of the morning

Comment

Working...
                                X