Suggestions for Tracking Hogs At Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for Tracking Hogs At Night

This weekend, I shot a big boar slightly quartering away. I think I had good shot placement. I think it was good, not great, but I could be mistaken. Full disclosure: last weekend, I thought I made a a good shot, and I missed completely.

This weekend, it was a pass through, and I waited about twenty minutes before leaving the blind. I tracked blood for about forty yards, then the the blood just seemed to stop. I tried to walk the grid in the brush for a while that evening and a little in the morning, but I never found him.

Part of me knows this just part of hunting, but I'm open to feedback on what you may do that is helpful for recovering hogs in the dark. I am usually hunting alone these days.

I have a nice and bright Coastal flashlight, but I have been thinking about a blood tracker flashlight or string tracker.

Pretty sure this was my boar.

Blood looks darker red in the pic than it actually was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hogs are tough and from what you said and the pics - this hog is either very much alive or he was alive long enough to go into very thick brush.

Personally - Unless the blood has outstanding sign of a dead hog, I will not track them at night. A wounded hog is very dangerous. When I have really good blood, I'm constantly looking around for a hog that is about to charge.

Comment

A guess you hunt where tracking dogs are illegal? If so then I'd recommend looking into thermal imaging. Something that senses body heat. The blood tracking lights I've seen haven't been any better than a good, bright flashlight.

Comment

My suggestion don't track at all day our night. Just wait for the next one.

Comment

This

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
            My suggestion don't track at all day our night. Just wait for the next one.
            That hog was probably dead within a 100 yards. But tracking them at night in the summer sucks, it's hot, bugs are everywhere, and they could make you pay for it. A good blood tracker with a little attitude would be your best bet.

Comment

Coleman lantern with a partial shade, and a sidearm/shotty.

Comment

Wait till morning.
                Always give the pigs at least an hour unless you spine them. Honestly, summer hunting pigs for meat is a tough deal. It's already hot, they just don't want to die.

Comment

Hogs are pretty tough critters.May be wait an hr before you start tracking unless you hear/see them crash. Tracking too early may have pushed the animal. This time of the year with the rain we had its pretty thick out there and combine that with the heat. A semi trained dogs will find it pretty quick.

Comment

I rely heavily on this little gem.

Comment

When tracking wounded hogs at night. Always stay within jumping distance of suitable tree that will support your weight. Shotgun or large sidearm in one hand. The other hand your brightest trustiest flashlight. Then decide which one you will drop when you need to grab the tree when you have to jump into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't. It's just a hog, ain't worth a kneecap.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          It's one bad little mother. You pay more for quality but it is worth it.

Comment

I love to bow hunt, but I stopped using a bow on hogs much bigger than 120 lbs. I just got tired of tracking and/or losing them. 220 Swift in the ear hole and no tracking.

That's just me.

Comment

I like eating pigs. I track them all. Stay alert and well armed. If I shoot it, i will do my best to find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X