2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
    Nice catches bud. Going next week to Seadrift for the last trip of the year. Last year was dang good to us, The hurricane made some new areas and fish though it was summer time. Caught 40 plus keeper reds in one day between 3 guys. Hope it’s like that again this year
    Good luck buddy, I got like 3 more trips planned then a little hunting then back to fishing...am blessed to only have 2 hobbies

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
      Good luck buddy, I got like 3 more trips planned then a little hunting then back to fishing...am blessed to only have 2 hobbies
      Haha I hear ya. I have 3 hobbies, hunting fishing and golf, with no time for either.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I ain't scurred. Lol

Good luck bud! I’ve been thinking about hitting it one night this week, but keep getting busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Didn't o too bad in POC today if it weren't for my motor giving me issues. Gonna pump the fuel out and hope it was bad gas.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Brothers, nephews, son and I will be headed down the beach at PINS this weekend. Probably going 20-25 miles down to set up camp. I know it’s opening of bow but if anyone happens to be going by stop and share a beer. Especially if you’re named Poco. Would love to shake the hand of the shark whisperer. Will be in a brown Supercrew with TBH sticker and also a gold Tahoe.

Mike

Comment

Rented a beach house in Surfside beach near jetty park the weekend of oct 6th. Looking for any pointers to get my kid on some fish. Trying to decide between fishing the surf or the jettys. Hoping to catch some reds. Any other areas people want to recommend around there? Current plan was cut mullet on a fish finder rig fishing the surf and live shrimp under a popping cork.

Comment

Originally posted by wes View Post
                Rented a beach house in Surfside beach near jetty park the weekend of oct 6th. Looking for any pointers to get my kid on some fish. Trying to decide between fishing the surf or the jettys. Hoping to catch some reds. Any other areas people want to recommend around there? Current plan was cut mullet on a fish finder rig fishing the surf and live shrimp under a popping cork.
                The Bull reds will be wide open by then. Fish towards the end and throw big spoons if the weather permits. Take plenty of extras because as the saying goes on the jetties, if you're not hanging rocks you're not hanging fish. Also make sure your equipment can handle them.

Comment

Thanks Mexico. With the spoons am I working them by bouncing them on the bottom or letting them sink and just doing a slow retrieve?

Comment

Originally posted by wes View Post
                    Thanks Mexico. With the spoons am I working them by bouncing them on the bottom or letting them sink and just doing a slow retrieve?
                    Big 3 oz. spoons make sure to use a leader obviously. Throw them as far as you can, let sink a good 5 to 10 seconds then a steady to fast retrieval. Dont be scared to run them right next to the rocks, a lot of times that's where your strike will happen. You will loose spoons, that's just part of the game. .

Comment

Easy limit of trout this morning. Didn't see another boat all morning. Teal ducks were everywhere. It was a great day to be on the water.

Comment

Easy limit of trout this morning. Didn't see another boat all morning. Teal ducks were everywhere. It was a great day to be on the water.

Nice!! I'm gonna try and sneak out this week myself if this weather gives us a break. No reds?

Comment

I caught 4 or 5. One was too big it was around 31" the rest were short. I only fished for about an hour and a half.

Comment

Gotcha... jam up trip!

Comment

Congrats! Great day there!

Comment

Went down to PINS this weekend for annual trip with my brothers and nephews. Brothers there already but son and I arrived late Friday night and it started raining as we drove up. Camp was just past 21 miles. Not much sleep that night with storms rolling through but woke up to fairly calm seas. Caught some mullet in surf and started fishing. Everyone else using shrimp and mullet and son and I tried top water with a few hits and one skip. We switched to gold spoon and caught a few skips and small pompanos. Son hooked up with a 27” Spanish Mac. His first and actually my first time seeing one in person.

Took one the skips and put it on our long rod and yakked it out 300 yds. Son and then stayed out 300-500 yds throw gold spoon. Saw some birds working about 1/2 mile north so we headed that way. Good for us they were coming our way. All of a sudden had bait and birds all around us. Caught several skips and pomps and then had something make my reel sing. After a couple runs pulled in a 30” mac. My first Mac and first time with a kayak on the beach.

Caught a few more fish but another set of storms was coming in and seas got rough so we headed back in. Surf stayed pretty rough rest of day. Nephew managed a 22” red on mullet.

Lots of small whiting and hardheads.

Had several showers through the day but cleared up Saturday night. Sunday morning wind was nill but surf still rough. Sky looked ominous.

Climbed dune to check radar on phone and decided to pack up. Got loaded right as the deluge hit. Was like driving across a lake most of the way.

All in all a great weekend with quality time with family.

Comment

Working...
                                X