No announcement yet.

Nilgai caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen them shot with a 338 Win mag and still run a short distance.

Comment

my son guides for them on a weekly basis he uses a 7 mag with nosler partitions

Comment

This is one that my dad shot last weekend with a 338 win mag. He hit him low but broke his front leg we were able to catch up for a follow up. It’s all about shot placement. A 270 should work just fine with a good heavy bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your 7mm mag will work, but get rid of the ELD-X and load up some Nosler Partitions. I would prefer a .300 Win Mag or bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
            I might be wrong...but I have read that the heart isn't in the traditional place like on whitetails...it's advised to shoot them right through the shoulder.
            I am going to research that. Looks like my initial thought was wrong. Their vitals are more forward than a deer. I’m not going to try to drive that ELD-X through the shoulder bone of those beasts.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
            Last edited by dc1986; 03-24-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I shot one twice with as 7MM STW using Accubonds and he still ran several hundred yards. Neither bullet exited.

Comment

Couldn’t find a Nilgai image but basically the same as Gemsbok.

Comment

Shoot them right square in the center of the shoulder.

180gr Partitions have not exited one yet from that .300Wby, but it puts them down right now.

I'm pretty sure Ben shot his with 165gr out of his 7mag this year, it didn't go over 60 yards, shoulder was mush.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Shoot them right square in the center of the shoulder.

180gr Partitions have not exited one yet from that .300Wby, but it puts them down right now.

I'm pretty sure Ben shot his with 165gr out of his 7mag this year, it didn't go over 60 yards, shoulder was mush.

Thanks Dale. Those are some nice ones y’all shot.

Comment

This is a first. TBH hasn’t suggested a tiny caliber for a big animal and claimed it knocks them right down. I’m proud haha. I haven’t shot one yet. You can bet I’ll launch some heavy weight at one lol

Comment

I think your 7mag will be fine. I shot mine high in the shoulder with a 300 win mag, he went straight down. Bout a 90 yard shot.

Comment

7mm with a heavy constructed bullet will work... Sure there is better calibers, but unless you are just wanting another rifle, there isn’t really a need. I shot mine in a high shoulder shot with 300gr swift a-frame bullet out of a 375H&H and he ran. As he spun and ran away I shot him right at the base of the pelvis and spine and that dropped him. Had to put one one round through heart to expire him..

Comment

22 mag in the head

It’s all about shot placement

I hate ruining meat

No need for over kill

You are solid with what you have sir

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                              I am going to research that. Looks like my initial thought was wrong. Their vitals are more forward than a deer. I’m not going to try to drive that ELD-X through the shoulder bone of those beasts.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
                              PM sent

Comment

What is more important IMO is a good bullet, 160 grain minimum, and good shot placement. You don’t have to have a huge caliber, rather one that you are use to and can make the shot/shots count. My friend uses a .338, but your 7mm is plenty with the right bullet.

At 200 3 shot group.

Comment

Working...
                                X