My setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My setup

First of all I would like to thank TBH guys for the inspiration in the DIY threads. I used 6 hog panels and 12 T-Posts to make a feeder pen. I have too many hogs eating my corn before the deer show up. I also put up a landscaping post to mount my trail camera and hog light. I also set up a tote that I spray painted camo green on the right side. I didn't get to take close up pictures because I forgot two weeks ago and Monday I spooked a couple does that we're eating outside the pen when I walked in to my blind to wait for hogs. I took these photos from my temporary makeshift blind(popup has not arrived yet). Best thing about this was that my wife and 8 year old joined me in this build and helped out tremendously. Didn't get to shoot a hog Monday due to front and storms rolling in but did watch a doe at 20 yards before dark. This will be my first year hunting with a bow. I hope to get lots of practice on some porkers.

My wife and I waiting for some piggies!

Set up looks great, nothing better than family time in the woods.

Good luck on the hunts.

Comment

I forgot to mention that there was lots of corn on the ground inside the pen. I assume that the deer are not yet comfortable with jumping in. Any ideas on getting them to commit? I had my trail camera set to video and all the videos were black when I checked it. Switched back to camera so the next time I get to the lease I'll know if they are using it regularly.

Comment

We have deer that will jump into the pen and there is still corn in there... just so happens they are eating other stuff primarily right now... mainly acorns or other green stuff. I wouldn't assume the pens are the issue right now.

Comment

It will take them a few days to get comfortable with going over into the pen.

If you built it with a gate, might leave the gate open a few weeks to get them in and out, then close it off once they start getting used to it.

Defeats the purpose of a pen, but sometimes it may be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post
            Best thing about this was that my wife and 8 year old joined me in this build and helped out tremendously.
            Same here with one of my setups. My wife helped me clear a bunch of dead trees on a new spot where we put a feeder. We cut some new trails, etc. She has really enjoyed looking at the game cams to see what started coming through the new habitat we created. We name the deer together. It is so much more fun hunting that spot too because of the family connection.

Comment

Working...
            X