How do you shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you shoot?

I have been shooting a recurve for about a year now. Up until this past weekend, I had never shot around other recurve shooters.. They watched me shoot, then said I had the old school technique of quick releasing down pretty good. I release as soon as the tip of my middle finger touches the corner of my mouth.
    The one guy that impressed me the most with his shooting ability actually anchored for a while before releasing. He has been shooting a recurve for 30 yrs..
    My question is How were you taught? How to you release? Where do you anchor?

I used to shoot what some people would call snap shooting,I would kinda swing into the draw and when I hit anchor it was gone.I did pretty well with it,but I was also pulling 72lbs back then.(back then everybody shot heavy)A shooter that I looked up to named Dante dropped down to 55lbs and would hold for a few seconds then release.He told me it made him a better shooter,so guess what I did?I now shoot around 50- 60 lbs and hold when I hit anchor.I don't know if I am a better shooter,but I am atleast as good as used to be.
    I shoot one above two below,and anchor middle finger in corner of mouth.As far as release,I try to just pull through it.hope this helped

Comment

I draw,prey that I don't shoot the next door neighbors dog(this time), and then release. Works most of the time.
      Chris Kiefner

Comment

I shoot one over two under, anchor mid finger to corner of mouth, and hold for a count of three, then release. But I'm not that great. But I wish I was wabbit hunting with lost Hawg and the rest of the guys at the Fudd hunt this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I reach and hold anchor for several seconds...sometimes longer. I can not shoot by releasing as soon as I hit anchor. I have tried and it just doesn't work for me.

Everyone seems to be a little different on this, find what works for you.

Comment

I've been told that I shoot wierd. At least they told you your method was known.

Comment

I have alway thought that snap shooting was a form of target panic... I try to hold at full draw for a few seconds to let everything settle down then release...poorly

Comment

I hold for a second or two...sometimes longer. I used to shoot as soon as my finger hit my anchor but I didn't feel in control (not that I ever REALLY do). I went back down in weight and worked on concentrating for a couple of seconds at full draw. I basically try to envision the release and the shot. At some point during this the string slips away and the arrow appears "somewhere" in the target...hopefully! I think this has helped me a bit. Oh and I draw 3 under with my middle finger tucked in the corner of my mouth. Another thing that helps me is a little mental picture an archery coach at A&M taught me. Picture a pecan or walnut between your shoulder blades. As you draw, squeeze your back muscles in a way as if to crush the pecan with your shoulder blades. This really helps me focus on drawing properly without using too much arm. I hope that makes sense...if not, pretend I didn't say anything!!!

Comment

Focus on spot, draw and hold til it feels right, 2 or 3 seconds.

Comment

"if not, pretend I didn't say anything!!!" Now thats funny

Comment

I hold my anchor different amounts of time, but I always anchor in the same spot with the same form. I draw and hold until I "feel" like I'm focussed and let'er fly. Sometimes I shoot as soon as I reach my anchor, then other times I hold several seconds or let down.

I used to let it fly whether I felt focused or not, but I'm getting better at letting down on the ones that don't feel right.

Comment

Working...
                      X