Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS / Fishfinder combo??

I need advice on an upgrade.

My main use is navigation, I have been running a Garmin 162 for years and it has served well but I want improved base mapping so that I can actually plan routes I stead of just recording where I have been. My handheld and my dog tracking system are both Garmin so I'm thinking stay with Garmin since I'm used to their layout etc.

My current Fishfinder is a Humminbird 162 SX. Lets face it, this is a glorified depth finder that shows a picture of a fish now and then but honestly 90% of my fishing is in the bay and depth and locating drop offs etc is all I need.

I'm thinking about the Garmin 50s with BlueChart g2 preloaded but I'm looking for advice.

Thanks

I'm looking to upgrade my unit too. I've been looking at the DSI units. I'd like to get a GPS unit to mark tracks, but I want a better image of what is going on below. You think you might sell your HB?

Comment

Hummingbird 1199

Comment

Lowrance is the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
          I'm looking to upgrade my unit too. I've been looking at the DSI units. I'd like to get a GPS unit to mark tracks, but I want a better image of what is going on below. You think you might sell your HB?
          Oh I would sell it but it was a $120 base model when I got it 12 years ago so I don't think it provide the image your looking for.

Comment

I just bought the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI and so far its a great unit. Lots of cool features but easy to operate. It comes with a chartplotter gps and did great on Lake Somerville last weekend. It has DSI and the images are pretty incredible. You can also upgrade the navigation to Navionics Gold.

And its $299!
            Last edited by unclefish; 04-14-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Another option is the Navionics Smart phone app. $10 and good bottom features. I think its as good as the Lake maps clip for the gps units.

Comment

Lowrance has worked pretty good for me on inshore trips. Easy to use and reliable

Comment

Bump

Comment

Humminbird has always been my go to. My uncle has a HB 1199 and a Raymarine for his off shore boat, works great! Good details considering the depth we fish in florida.

I have an 898 on my xpress and it is plenty for me, good defined picture and I can count how many fish are on a brush pile.

Lowrance is supposed to have better clarity and definition with their LSS but im not a fan of their setup. Really just best to go in store to get a feel for it and try to get someone to take you out and check theirs out.

Comment

Find some repair shops and ask them of they get more lowrance or hummingbird in for repair..

Comment

I run a HB 587 CI HD combo unit on my boat and it has Serve me very well I like the fact that the GPS is internal, I'm charted with a
                        LakeMaster Chart Midsouth States (TX/OK/AR/LA) SD f/Humminbird Version 2 600009-2
                        It is very Detailed I have not had the chance to go to the coast since I started using this card but it is supposed to include the bay systems of the Texas coast, The chart plotting feature is very user-friendly ( This is good news for me) I have been fishing some night tournaments recently and without the chart plotter I am not sure that I would be able to navigate at night !

Comment

I just ordered the newer HDS7 Gen2 Touch screen yesterdat. It's on sale @ West Marine. I think Bass Pro has it for like $1200. West Marine has them for $850 right now. Pretty cool unit.

Comment

Working...
                          X