looking to get into traditional hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking to get into traditional hunting

Been hunting a compound for a good while, but I shot my cousins recurve the other day and had a blast. I want to buy a recurve, but know absolutely nothing about them. Some answers to what I would think are qualifying questions are:
    I'm 6'3" - draw length on my compound is 30.5" - hunt from tree stands and ground blinds mostly - occasionally spot and stalk for pigs

looking for a general idea of what to look for - brand or designer - bow length - preferred draw weight for hunting - etc.

any help will be much appreciated

There is a sweet Bob Lee longbow in the classifieds...I think 64" and would be an awesome set up

edit...found it

Last edited by Death from Above; 02-09-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hi bmc,
      I"m no pro at it but have learned so far that you're not gonna be pulling a 70lb recurve and be good at it for a while, however, I started with a Samick Sage at 45#s @ 28" draw....I pull 28.5 in a compound, but only 27 with a traditional bow. Which means I'll pull roughly a couple pounds less than what's listed at 28"...that's just the standard...45#'s good enough to kill a pig, gotta be much closer with a trad bow, shoot a heavier arrow...I haven't hunted with a trad bow but seems to be the go to answer round here. A Samick Sage can be had for 140$ anywhere. It's 62" long tip to tip....58-60" long recurves are what seem to be standard for spot and stalk...I shoot a 60" Sarrels Superstition Longbow, love it, it's smooth a Tennessee whiskey, and sweet as strawberry wine...good luck

Comment

Don't get a 70# recurve. When I started I thought since I had a 70# compound I needed a 70# recurve. Big mistake.

I have trad bows in 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60. I prefer the 50#.

Comment

are there any benefits to shooting a recurve rather than a long bow or vice versa?

Comment

I have found that each bow is different in it own way. I never had a preference over recurve or longbow...but find recurve "easier" and a tad faster.

However as bows have come along a good longbow with a little reflex/deflex in it is comparable to most recurves out there in speed.

Keep in mind the speed is relative with trad bows

Comment

My only suggestion is to not expect to buy the bow you will end up with on the first shot.

Buy an inexpensive 40-45# bow, learn to shoot it, and when you are ready to move on/up, you will have a much better idea of what you want.

Understand that you aren't making a slight adjustment in your archery world. You are learning a whole different thing. A better thing. :-)

Regarding longbow/recurve, it's pretty much just a matter of how cool you want to be.

Longbows rule! :-)

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by RoyseCity View Post
                My only suggestion is to not expect to buy the bow you will end up with on the first shot.

Buy an inexpensive 40-45# bow, learn to shoot it, and when you are ready to move on/up, you will have a much better idea of what you want.

Understand that you aren't making a slight adjustment in your archery world. You are learning a whole different thing. A better thing. :-)

Regarding longbow/recurve, it's pretty much just a matter of how cool you want to be.

Longbows rule! :-)

Joe
                This is great advice. . .I started with a samick sage in 45lb draw. I learned to shoot it, got advice on tuning it, arrows and arrow weight, just recently bought two new bows, one longbow and one recurve. Great guys in this forum who know a whole lot about shooting trad, listen to their advice. Will keep you from making some big mistakes in the beginning.

Comment

What would be a good bow to start with? keeping in mind that I would like to hunt with it.
                  Also, are carbon arrow ok?

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
                    What would be a good bow to start with? keeping in mind that I would like to hunt with it.
                    Also, are carbon arrow ok?
                    My pick is a 50# Samick Sage Recurve,,,I use Gold Tip Traditionals (carbon) arrows with my bows...5 inch shield cut fletches...400s...good inexpensive bow, that can have limbs purchased separately (75$) if you want to go lower in poundage or higher....
                    PSE makes an affordable recurve too, "Mustang" I believe it's called...buddy of mine took an axis doe with his 45# bow,

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo View Post
                      My pick is a 50# Samick Sage Recurve,,,I use Gold Tip Traditionals (carbon) arrows with my bows...5 inch shield cut fletches...400s...good inexpensive bow, that can have limbs purchased separately (75$) if you want to go lower in poundage or higher....
                      PSE makes an affordable recurve too, "Mustang" I believe it's called...buddy of mine took an axis doe with his 45# bow,
                      My first was the samick as well, but I recommend going with a lower poundage so you can concentrate on everything else up front. I went with 45 originally, but wish I would have done with the 40. I bought additional 55lb limbs later.

Comment

Is the Samick a bow that you would hunt with? I don't mind spending a little more if it makes a difference

Comment

The Sage is a fine bow, and there have been a bazillion critters killed with them. Keep in mind that it is a cheap production bow that functions just fine. If you go that route, you will want to get a good flemish string for it right off the bat, and ditch the string that comes with it.

The Sage is a great starter bow because it is low cost and functions well. As you learn, a lot of things will change. As you try others bows, you will eventually find an "I gotta have it!" bow.

Another thing, don't rush into hunting too fast. Shooting trad is a skill that takes time. Learn to shoot with good form and then head to the woods!

Bisch

Comment

You can hunt with the Samick. I would go with a 40 to 45 pound bow to start, it's much easier to develop proper form. Most people will lose 1 - 2" inches draw length when going from a compound to a stick bow. You can figure on gaining or losing 2 - 3 pounds draw weight per each inch change in draw length. If you get a 40# @ 28" Samick you will be at about 43# for a 29" draw. With a sharp 2 blade broad head you'll easily be able to hunt pigs and deer. I've hunted with 55 -57# bows for years, but I'm in the process of setting up a 49# longbow that will be my primary hunting bow.

Comment

Good advice...
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X