Razor Fletch. Your 2 cents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Razor Fletch. Your 2 cents

So just as the title suggests. I bought some razor fletchings a while back and have been experimenting with them. It is in essence the same thing as a blazer vane only done with feathers. I try to tune my shafts to clean flight as much as possible, so that may have some influence here, but I seem to be getting better flight in most natural conditions then with other fletchings.
    I realize that as the Fletching size decreases so does the drag on the arrow through the air. But so does it's ability to correct/ clean arrow flight?
    As the last few windy weeks have past I have been pleased with the flight I can still get with my little razors verse the other fletchings I have.
    I have not found a draw back yet. Am I missing Something?

Not missing a thing! If it works for you, then by all means, use it! There is nothing "wrong" with tenny 2" fletching, just like there is nothing "wrong" with giant 6" fletching. If you found something that works well for you, then use it, or do it that way!!!

Bisch

Comment

If it works for you...go for it.

I would think that if it would show any differece, it would be with a broadhead upfront.

Comment

If your set-up is well tuned they should work well. For a hunting set-up I like 3 - 5" feathers. I shoot from many different positions in hunting scenarios and don't always get a perfect release. If I do get a less than perfect release, the big feathers will correct the arrow's flight quicker.

Comment

Phillip that is what I have been curious about. I know that my release can be much less then desirable at times, and these smaller fletchings do show that. Not sure how critical this would make things in the woods. On target they look fine, maybe I should get a few stumping trips with these and just see what they do when I'm in different shot scenarios.

Comment

Dry Bones, a problematic release with small feathers and a big broadhead up front can get squirrely.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              Dry Bones, a problematic release with small feathers and a big broadhead up front can get squirrely.
              For me, it'd mean missing the squirrel... by a lot!
              Last edited by SwampRabbit; 01-27-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Shoot them with broadheads and see how they perform.

In windy conditions smaller is better.

I have gone from maxi-flecth, to banana fletch, to 5 1/2", to 3 fletch 4" feathers.

Comment

Shot some today with Zwickey eskimos. They are my go to head for recurve. I have one set-up that allows me to shoot Thunderheads, but I played with the Zwickey today and did see some, "not so nice" flight at 15 ish yards. All landed true, but flight was not great. May have to keep some handy, but will more then likely go back with a 4-5" for hunting purpose.

Comment

I've shot them exclusively out of my recurve. I've shot them with with lightwieght small broadhead set ups, to heavy big cut broadhead set ups. Just bare shaft tune first, then check broadhead flight when your all fletched up.

Comment

Kinda of funny that I just got a box of 50 in on Saturday and fletched up three of my hunting arrows.

Thought #1: They fly just fine, wind, no wind, field point or broad-head.
                      Thought #2: With a clean release they impact about 12" higher with my longbow at 35 yrds.
                      Thought #3: They are awesome at making you work on a clean release. They seem to enhance a bad release.

I plan on continuing to use them all summer. I am not yet sure if I want to hunt with them, but so far I think I might.

Carry on...

Comment

Live2Hunt, agree with the release situation. Especially when you have a big broadhead on the nose. With solid, and clean release they look great, but let one finger drag a little and man it looks awful.

Comment

Just tested them here in Prosper in a 26 mph gusty wind. Hit where I aimed, I was honestly shocked. My 4" shield cuts were solid to the right due to a left to right wind. Both with and without broad-heads they hit better for me in a wind.

I usually stay home from hunting when there is a high wind, but its nice to know they work great in the wind.

Dry Bones: Totally agree on a weak or dragging finger. Like I said not sure about hunting with them, but I like them more and more with each 50 shots I take. Stay tuned...

Comment

They'll work better with high FOC.

Comment

Did a some high wind training today myself. The little Razor sure stayed in group a lot better then a 5" fletch. Still working out some form flaws, but gear is performing well.

Comment

Working...
                              X