placinga 53' International cab on a 90 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

placinga 53' International cab on a 90 Ford

This will be a long term project. I recently aquired a 1990 ford Super Duty. This was the year before the F-450 that was badged by Ford. I know the history on it and it has a low mile Ford factory crate 460 motor installed by dealer. It was drove a year on a farm and the basically parked. A friend got it, let it set for a year and I traded goods to get it. Cab is rusted out and it has a big welding bed on it. Now I just made a deal on a 53' International truck, its complete, not running and does have rust but this will work.
    My plan in to pull cab and welding bed from the Super Duty. Install the 53' cab onto Super Duty frame and then build an old school flatbed for the truck. I want to use it for advertisement for our antique shop and use it around town for parts and furniture pick up/delivery.
    Any Rat Rodders have advice on cab swaps or can link to threads that show projects doing this? I have some buddies in the RR scene that I will be hitting up for advice too.

I've done this with 47-54 Chevy trucks.
    Get a measurement from front wheel center to front cab mount.
    Set the frame up level on jack stands and put two lengths of 2x3 or 2x4 tubing perpendicular to the frame between the rails and jack stands slightly wider than the donor cab. This will give the cab something to rest on. Square up and set wheel base/center then Block up as needed to space cab above rail for transmission clearance, ect.
    Measure for body mounts. May be able to reuse factory ford mounts by cutting and moving or may need to cut them off and build new ones. Once cab is square and mounts are tacked together hang front clip and fab up core support mount to front frame horns.. Remove cab and weld out mods. Hope this gets ya in the right direction.
    Here's a few pics of body mounts I've made for the 47-54 swaps.
    I use a frame table to do all this but it can be done using the supports I mentioned under the frame. Just a lot of crawling around on the shop floor..

Comment

I like it so far

Comment

Sounds like a really cool poject. Post up pics and keep us updated

Comment

This could get really cool....

Comment

Hix that is some master craftsmanship!

Some day I will own a rat rod........

To th op, post pics! Google is full of great rat rod builds. I spend a lot of time looking through them.

Comment

In for the build!

Comment

Consider putting reinforcing pads on all vertical weld on the frame.

Comment

Hix,
                  Thanks for the info and pics. That definitely helps and gives me direction. Any chance you more pics on your builds as you fabbed the front core support/ mounts etc? Nice fab work Sir
                  Last edited by brushtrooper; 09-01-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

This thread has some "hails yeah" potential!!!

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                      Hix that is some master craftsmanship!

Some day I will own a rat rod........

To th op, post pics! Google is full of great rat rod builds. I spend a lot of time looking through them.
                      Thank you sir

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                        Consider putting reinforcing pads on all vertical weld on the frame.
                        I fish plates seam welds as needed before final assembly. Most joints are reinforced with 1-1/2" DOM Tubing that connects one section to the next and doubles as suspension component mounts, x-members, ect. But thanks for your concern.
                        Last edited by Hix; 09-01-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                          Hix,
                          Thanks for the info and pics. That definitely helps and gives me direction. Any chance you more pics on your builds as you fabbed the front core support/ mounts etc? Nice fab work Sir
                          Thanks, no problem. I'll see what else I have pics of or take some more when I get back home from working. The front really just depends on trucks core support/ radiator surround. Usually a simple 1x2 req. tube ran between the frame horns will work set up so the core support sits on top and bolts to it.

Comment

This is going to be an awesome build. Subscribed

Comment

In for this, looks pretty cool!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X