Insulated Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulated Smoker

I have started on an insulated smoker. this is a vert smoker with water pan. The smoker is framed with 2" square tubing and stuffed with Rockwall insulation. The fire box is 1/4" plate and the outside skin is 10ga. The cavity between the plates is also stuffed with 2" of Rocwall insulation. The inside dimensions are 36" l x 22" d x 24" h. It will have 3 racks for cooking. The door will be sealed using a gasket. Still have a ways to go but hope to get this thing finished before Thanksgiving. Here is where it stands as of now.

Here is the start. Framed.

Little bit of interior plate tacked in.

Started on the outside skinning.

Most of the exterior plate tacked off.

Still have to weld all the exterior seams, put the front shelf on, water pan drain, Thermometer, door handle, end handle, fire box door, ash tray, coal basket And and a bunch of little things. Hope to be able to make some more progress and post updates soon.

Glenn

crazy good dude

Comment

That's cool!

Comment

That's sweet Glen! Build two and I'll buy one from ya

Comment

I like it, keep it up!

Comment

Really cool! I could use that up here in the northeast.

Comment

Might consider insulating the fire box as well, or lining it with fire bricks. The idea is that the larger mass in the fire box heats up and cools down more slowly, allowing for a more even heat, therefore minimizing temperature spikes and dips.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                Might consider insulating the fire box as well, or lining it with fire bricks. The idea is that the larger mass in the fire box heats up and cools down more slowly, allowing for a more even heat, therefore minimizing temperature spikes and dips.
                Fire box is insulated. 2" Rockwall 1375 degree. Everything on this pit is insulated.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                  That's sweet Glen! Build two and I'll buy one from ya
                  You might not when you see the price.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
                    You might not when you see the price.

Glenn
                    I might, PM me a quote. I'm serious if you want to build another one.

Comment

nice work!

Comment

After I finish some of my small projects I am all proud of myself until I look on here! Just reminds me I have a long way to go before I actually post pics of something I build. Love looking at stuff like this.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Well spent a little time this weekend working on the smoker. Got all the out side plates welded out and fire box door mounted up. Gaskets on fire box door and cooking chamber door. Need yo grind all the welds on the outside. Welds are nice, but looking for the smooth clean corners. Have some touch up welds to do. Once this is done then on to the shelf brackets, handles and cooking racks. Did not take any pictures today since there is no real visible change. Soon there will be more pictures to post. This thing has to many hours in it to count.

Looking forward to the first cook with it. H3ll looking forward to many cook with it.

Glenn

Comment

Well finally had the time to finish the smoker. Did a test run with it and she holds temp like an oven.

Got her painted up and did not get the temp gauge back in for this picture. Decided to swap out the pneumatic tires since they were showing signs of hub failure. Went with some heavy duty wheels that should not fail. May not roll on grass but that is alright.

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X