Hunting cabin/pole barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting cabin/pole barn

My brother and I built a 32X56 pole barn on our property and are using a 24X32 section as a hunting cabin. I will post some pictures in a couple days. My question is this. We do not want to drill a well as there will be public water available at our place in the next couple of years. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to use until the public water line is extended?

Keep in mind, we have freezing weather here in the winter, so just putting up an above the ground water tank will not work.

Anyone that has some suggestions please help.

Huntmaster put a large plastic tank in his barn. He built a nice cabin in the barn as well. It's in jack county and I dont think he has had any freezing issues. You might pm him for details.

Comment

Put a 500 gallon tank in the ground.
      Mount a well pump on it and plumb it to the cabin.
      You can buy a 350 gallon tank that will fit in your truck.
      You will be surprised how long 350 gallons will last unless you have girls with you
      We paid the volunteer. Fire dept $2.00 to fill it for us
      Took them about 2 minutes

Comment

above works. ALso you could put a cattle trough warmer in the tank, this will keep if from freezing. I would go with a 1500 gallon tank from Tankdepot.com. Larger the amount of water the harder it is to freeze. ALso you could rig it up to catch rain water off the roof with a gutter system.

Comment

By the time you buy the tank, dig the hole, and plumb it you could drill a well. JS

Comment

We use rain water from our gutter system. Use it for showers dishes and toilet. Bring drinking water in 5 gallon totes.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Any ideas are appreciated.

Comment

I would divide it in 2 sections - 10 x 32 (make it 2 - 10x14 rooms and a 6x10 bathroom) the second have one large open room that is 14x32. Place the bathroom at the back wall (easier for plumbing) put the kitchen table next, Then get a big sectional to fillup the rest with a fireplace in the corner. This is the way ours is set up and it works great.

Comment

The question was how to get water correct? The 350 gallon tk probably cheapest and makes the most since short term. I did go on line typed in "how to dig my own well". Looks fairly easy unless you are in rock. I'm probably going to try it some time this summer at the deer camp. Just my .2$

Comment

We use 2 of the plastic tote tanks, think they 275 gallon, not sure? We wrapped in insulation then a tarp. The cattle trough warmer should work too. The 2 tanks will get us through deer seaon with 3 trailers siphoning off them.Use that for everything but drinking water.

Comment

I use a 1000gal tank with well pump. I use 2 250gal totes to haul water from town. Transfer w/2 4gpm 12v pumps
                      Attached Files

Comment

I used a 275 tote with a on demand 12 volt pump for 8 months... worked great....

Comment

Working...
                        X