No announcement yet.

Borderlands Photo Safari... Brainstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking we may want to go ahead and scratch Livermore.

Or does the opportunity to photograph a formerly pristine preserve reduced to ash appeal to you guys?

Comment

It appeals to me, it's a huge part of the cycle. I think it could be a blessing in disguise.

That being said, I'm just along for the ride and will shoot anything.

Comment

How long was the shutter open on the Chata Ortega pic?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikead82 View Post
          How long was the shutter open on the Chata Ortega pic?
          From Noel's website:

Due to extremely low light levels associated with night photography, the length of exposure in most of my photographs ranges typically from 30 seconds to 5 or 6 minutes; it simply takes that long for the image to "burn in" to the sensor. As a result, the amount of time it takes me to walk to a point in the scene, conceal myself from the camera, execute the lighting technique and walk back leaves me in any one space in the shot for only a second or two at most. So for example, when it takes 2 minutes for any given spot in the photo to be properly exposed, the second or two that I'm obscuring any given part of the scene is undetectable. Now if I were to stand in one place for 30 seconds or a minute of that 2 minute exposure, you'd absolutely begin to see me...as a semi-transparent, ghost figure! Some folks go for that exact thing, but that's not my bag; I prefer to focus on the building or the object and present it as the subject, with no human distractions.
          link to noel's site

And this was the May 1 report on the fire:

As of Tuesday afternoon, the Livermore Ranch fire had grown to 13,376 acres, though the previous containment of zero percent had been increased to 25 percent.
          Last edited by Legdog; 05-02-2012, 07:28 AM.

Comment

A few things I've enjoyed is Luna's Jacal off Maverick Road by Santa Elena Canyon. Long dirt road that can be rough, but is definitely 2wd friendly. Also, the drive from Lajitas to Presidio is going to offer some great pics, especially on a late afternoon or evening drive.

I hope y'all have a fun and safe trip! I'm looking forward to a live thread, hopefully.

Comment

news on Davis Mountain fire

The clip features Chris Pipes who is the guy we are coordinating with.

Comment

A little good news on the Livermore fire perhaps?

▼A quote from the Alpine Daily Planet▼

Jeff Davis County Judge George Grubb lifted the evacuation order for Davis Mountain Resort on Thursday evening, effective at 7 p.m.

Due to significant progress made today in building fire lines along the southern boundary of the Livermore Ranch Fire, the interagency team managing the effort has agreed that the fire is no longer a threat to the area.

Comment

What a cool trip that would be. I've never been there but have a yearning to go someday. I'm sure lots of fun and some great pictures will be had.

I never knew they had aspens in Texas until I saw Legdog's comments. I find that absolutely fascinating. After a little research it turns out that there are actually several other aspen groves in Texas. The Guadalupes, Chisos, and of course the Davis Mountains all have apsen groves. They are more common in the Guadalupes than the other two.

We even have Douglas Fir's in the Guadalupes and the Chisos. Texas is an amazing state!

Good luck on the pixel trip!

Comment

Get ready for research!

virtual big bend

big bend chat

Comment

what is the star gazing/capturing going to be like? cloudy or clear? half moon should give some interesting back ground or shadows

dang i wish i still had big boy equipment

Comment

Cool trip.

Take pics of the donkeys.

Comment

Man, this sounds epic. I've spent some time out west over the years.

Be sure to stop by and see the mayor in Lajitas. He is a beer drinking goat, and not particular on the brand either.

Comment

Bad news from Mr. Chris Pipes...

Mr. Leggett, you can still visit on the 12th, but because of the fire on the preserve this past week (burned 4,200 acres, including Mt. Livermore) and the danger from falling snags, you all would be limited to parking at the McIvor Conservation Center and hiking on the four trails with trailhead in the immediate vicinity. Mt. Livermore and areas up-canyon will be off-limits. Alternatively, you could postpone your visit for another time. Please let me know your preference. Thanks. CP
                            Looks like we have a decision to make.

I'm thinking we may want to use our gate pass another time.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                              Bad news from Mr. Chris Pipes...

Looks like we have a decision to make.

I'm thinking we may want to use our gate pass another time.

I concur. We need to figure out schedules. I'm not sure yet when I'm departing.

Comment

Y'all are welcome to drive in the night before and get a start from FW. I have room.

Comment

Working...
                                X