Does helical matter ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does helical matter ????

I bought a Arizona EZ fletch and come to find out it is the left helical. Does it matter left right or str8 ?????

You want some spin...Lt or Rt does not matter. A straight fletch with little or no spin could give you some problems. For one, there is no resistance at the tail end of the arrow in flight...which means it take it longer to stabilize coming out of the bow.( Meaning it will porpoise or fishtail longer ) Also, if
    your arrow is not spinning, any imperfections in your broadhead or arrow shaft
    itself will be multiplied. It is possible to shoot decent groups with straight fletched arrows, but why would you want to , there is no benefit that I know of.

Comment

dv9296 has pretty much got you covered. Just remember that left helical will unscrew your heads when shooting a target, especially broadheads, so remember to tighten your heads (I know this from personal experience as another fella fletched them left when I first started out shooting. Now I fletch my own right helical.)

Comment

it becomes an issue, according to ashby, when you are shooting a 2 blade beveled broad head. if its beveled on both sides no worries but right helical with right beveled broadheads. left helical with left beveled.

go to alaskanarchery.com to review his research. i am not one to argue with an expert like him.

Comment

Originally posted by dv9296 View Post
          You want some spin...Lt or Rt does not matter. A straight fletch with little or no spin could give you some problems. For one, there is no resistance at the tail end of the arrow in flight...which means it take it longer to stabilize coming out of the bow.( Meaning it will porpoise or fishtail longer ) Also, if
          your arrow is not spinning, any imperfections in your broadhead or arrow shaft
          itself will be multiplied. It is possible to shoot decent groups with straight fletched arrows, but why would you want to , there is no benefit that I know of.
          what about blazers? none of the blazers I shoot have a twist

Comment

Originally posted by k9trainer View Post
            what about blazers? none of the blazers I shoot have a twist
            x2 on the blazer query...

Comment

I shoot the 2 inch quick spin fletchings that I fletch myself straight. I think the ridge on the quick spins creates the spin so maybe I don't have to fletch left or right helical? I am no expert though, just my assumption.

Comment

Even Blazers need some offset or twist to shoot fixed heads.

Comment

Blazers shoot great with full helical fletching. That's what I put on my arrows.

Comment

From Hunter's Friend.com....

Straight - Offset - Helical?
                    Another factor that determines the effectiveness of your fletching is the TURN of the fletch. If your fletching is arranged in a helical (spiral) pattern - like a boat propeller - your arrow will rotate in flight. Much like a football that's thrown with a perfect spiral, an arrow will fly straighter and be more stable if it rotates in-flight. Aerodynamically, a helical configuration is clearly a better choice. However, a helical fletch may not always be appropriate or necessary for your particular bow setup. For example, some arrow rests will not provide enough clearance to allow a helical fletch to pass thru without contact. In this case, many archers use an offset fletch, where the vanes are still straight, rather than in a spiral pattern, but they are slightly turned on the shaft to promote some rotation in-flight without compromising fletching clearance. For very unforgiving arrow rests with limited clearance, or for competition target setups that don't require much stabilization, the straight fletch may be the best option. Take a look at the information below and the corresponding pro's and con's associated with each fletching configuration. When you order your arrows, you'll need to select one of these options.

Straight Fletch -Does Not Rotate in Flight
                    Pro's:
                    - Fastest Flying Vane Configuration
                    - Least Amount of Air Resistance
                    - Works with Any Arrow Rest
                    - Minimal Fletching Clearance Problems

Con's
                    - Less Stable at Long Distances
                    - Provides Less Stabilization for Broadheads
                    - Best Used in a Well-Tuned Bow

4ยบ Right Offset Fletch - Rotates Slightly in Flight
                    Pro's:
                    - Provides More Stabilization for Broadheads
                    - Only Some Air Resistance in Flight
                    - Works with Most Arrow Rests
                    - Stable Flight to Moderate Distances

Con's:
                    - May Cause Fletching Clearance Issues
                    - Some Loss of Arrow Velocity
                    (Most Popular Choice)

Right Helical Fletch - Rotates Dramatically in Flight
                    Pro's:
                    - Superior Stabilization for Broadheads
                    - Best Overall Arrow Flight at Long Distance
                    - Increased Overall Accuracy
                    - Arrow Corrects Attitude in Flight

Con's:
                    - Notable Loss of Arrow Velocity
                    - Fletching Clearance More Problematic

Right or Left?
                    If you choose to go with an offset or helical fletch, the arrow will rotate in flight. But which way should it rotate? Right or left? Feathers, which come in right-wing and left-wing shapes, can make the arrow rotate either direction depending upon your choice. And vanes can be fletched right or left as well.

An arrow with a right turn will rotate clockwise (as viewed from the nock) during flight. An arrow with a left turn will rotate counterclockwise. So what's the big difference? With most modern setups........nothing. One is as good as the other. The only major difference is that left-turn (counterclockwise) arrows tend to impact the target and loosen your tips, while right-turn (clockwise) arrows tend to impact the target and tighten your tips. Otherwise, it really makes no difference.

Of course, this wasn't always the case. The traditional wisdom is for RH shooters to shoot a right turn fletch and LH shooters to shoot a left turn fletch. And if you shoot a traditional bow OR you have an old-fashioned flipper or plunger style rest, this is still good advice for achieving the best vane/feather clearance. But for shooters with modern equipment and center-shot cutaway risers, if you have to pick one or the other, we suggest you choose a right turn. Or you can flip a coin.

Comment

Are the Quick Spin fletches equal to a traditional "right wing fletch"?

Comment

This is why i switched to FOB's . No problems with arrow flight .

Comment

i think the direction only matters if you use fletching, not vanes. left helical for left feathers and visa versa

Comment

Working...
                          X