new lease and choices to let walk or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new lease and choices to let walk or not

So the lease is cisco area 400 to the west is 350 ish if I recall that is leased . , I am not 100% if the section to the direct south is leased or not .

So plans to add protein after season is over and feed year round .

yes I get it we can grow it they can kill it , My hope is the person that leased the section to the west does not renew and we can obtain that as well .

I am the only bow hunter so this also allows me first selection up to a point, as i am out hunting long before the rifle guys are .

Two others on lease we want to have large deer but knowing all the rest some input would be nice .

This one I feel could be a very nice deer in the future .

With what I posted thumbs up or thumbs down

No idea what he would score , still struggling with the small body size screws me up ..

he is one of the largest I have seen both on and off camera . one other but never close enough to get a good look at him may be a bit wider with more mass but not as tall

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Untitled by GMR
    Performance
    , on Flickr

That second pic he looks mature. Minimum 4 yr old but I want to say 5+ for the Cisco area.

As far as score here is what I see.

G1 2.5-3
    G2 10-7
    G3 7-9
    Beams 20-20
    Mass 25
    Spread hard to say at that angle. Figure 15

Roughly 120"

Comment

He has a little belly forming. Hard one to judge age. Could be 5 and then again could be post mature and starting to look younger again.

Comment

any better

Comment

mature by my definition (5+ yrs old) and I would shoot him. Nice deer for that area and I think his beams will put him over the hump of being a pope and young class animal

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
            any better

Much better pic! He will break 120". Beams look better in that pic but all deer look bigger from behind. I'll add 2"-3" to my last guess. 122"-124". He just might make P&Y.

His beams look more like 22" on that right side.

I would not let that deer pass in that area. The deer next to him is probably a 3 yr old. Bigger buck is 5+!

Comment

According to biologist a mature deer is anything 4.5 or older. I think that is an older deer. I would have no problem shooting him.

Comment

A shooter for eastland county no doubt he is a good mature buck !

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  According to biologist a mature deer is anything 4.5 or older. I think that is an older deer. I would have no problem shooting him.
                  Strictly FYI, bucks typically peak in antler growth at ages 6-7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    Strictly FYI, bucks typically peak in antler growth at ages 6-7 years.

I understand that. But that is not always the case on low fence , non protein fed deer. If you are wanting to harvest a mature deer then anything 4.5 or older is mature. Now antler growth is a different story and on low fence many variables affect that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      I understand that. But that is not always the case on low fence , non protein fed deer. If you are wanting to harvest a mature deer then anything 4.5 or older is mature. Now antler growth is a different story and on low fence many variables affect that.
                      Agree!

I am low fence and feed protein year round. Watch multiple deer from 3-7 and basically the same thing every year! They do put on mass but as far as frame it stays the same. I have noticed 1 major growth on a deer from 3-4 and he disappeared. Guessing neighbors killed him.

Antlers don't always matter. It's getting close and personal with a mature smart buck and outsmarting his arse!

Comment

I say he’s 6.5 120

I’d whack him

Comment

Got to let them walk to grow big bucks. Id say 120-125".

Comment

Mature. 6 +

125-127

I'd kill him

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                              Got to let them walk to grow big bucks. Id say 120-125".

so your saying that I should let this 4.5-5 year old walk ??

Comment

Working...
                              X