No announcement yet.

ND ice fishing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you guys had a blast. Good sized yellow perch.
    For those that have never ice fished. Its not as cold as it seems. Your dressed for it and the right equipment helps. Wind is the killer. Those pop ups do the job well.

Comment

Good luck to ya. Looking forward to the pics . But I don't miss that kind of cold at all.

Comment

When I worked in Williston used to go out quite a bit, But! The ol boy I fished with had an Ice Castle. Being from Texas thats the only way to go.

Comment

I gotta try that at least once

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTERMAGNUM View Post
            I thought you were crazy untill I saw the Buddy Heater.

The buddy heater is just some bonus comfort. We have a sunflower heater on top of a 30lb tank for main heat.

Comment

We hired a guide this year. Well, we kind of hired a guide. We rented a house from him and with that he will put us on the fish. We have all our own gear, just need some info to where the bite is (structure, depth, colors, etc). He said he has his clients on a good spot now but ice isn't truck ready yet so it's snobears, utv, sno-sleds, atv. Brother has a polaris 4-wheeler all chained up tires and ready to rock. Here's the catch...this spot is three miles off shore. We have a big sled to pull with it for our gear. So three miles on a 4-wheeler is going to be one cold mo fo for sure! Once were on the spot we can be drilled, house up, and heat going in about 10 min.

Comment

I go to Erie, PA quite a bit for business and one of my favorite things to eat there are the perch sandwiches! Those yellow perch are right there with our crappie, maybe even better! The boys there have been after me for years to go out with then, but haven't made it yet... only been goin' up there 40 years... be 41 come March of '18... maybe some day...

As a side note, all these pop ups that we use here for ground blinds, That's where they originated... Company called "Ice Blinds" produced the first "Double Bull" blinds...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  I go to Erie, PA quite a bit for business and one of my favorite things to eat there are the perch sandwiches! Those yellow perch are right there with our crappie, maybe even better! The boys there have been after me for years to go out with then, but haven't made it yet... only been goin' up there 40 years... be 41 come March of '18... maybe some day...

As a side note, all these pop ups that we use here for ground blinds, That's where they originated... Company called "Ice Blinds" produced the first "Double Bull" blinds...
                  Charlie, you need to fish that lake. I did when I lived in Ohio. My boss had a place on Sandusky Bay that we visited regularly. And agree on the perch sandwich comment.

Comment

Heck yeah!! Whenever I worked up North I looked for walleye or lake perch on the menu! I'd trade crappie fillets for those any day!!!

Worked in ND for 3 months and found s bowling alley that had half priced food. Bowling and $1 beer from 2-4pm! We would bowl. Drink and have fried walleye sammiches for less than $20!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Charlie, you need to fish that lake. I did when I lived in Ohio. My boss had a place on Sandusky Bay that we visited regularly. And agree on the perch sandwich comment.
                      Oh I have fished it... in the SUMMER!!! ...when the water is liquid! Caught some nice walleye and smallmouth bass. Presque Isle Bay is beautiful. When the road is open through the park in the winter it is awesome to drive out to the "beach" and look at the mountains of ice jammed against the shore! Until the lake freezes the winds blowing across the lake push all the ice against the peninsula. It's beautiful, but VERY dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                        Then you hold your **** as long as possible so you don't have to go back out! [emoji12]
                        That hole looks like it'd work just fine

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Oh I have fished it... in the SUMMER!!! ...when the water is liquid! Caught some nice walleye and smallmouth bass. Presque Isle Bay is beautiful. When the road is open through the park in the winter it is awesome to drive out to the "beach" and look at the mountains of ice jammed against the shore! Until the lake freezes the winds blowing across the lake push all the ice against the peninsula. It's beautiful, but VERY dangerous.
                          I remember every spring there were folks driving out on the ice 1-5 miles to go ice fishing, even though the coast guard told them not to. And had to be rescued via heilochopper. They would loose their vehicles because the shoreline ice was not stable or to thin. Some were brand new cars and trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                            No lying, the 15 min it takes to set up are hell. My face was frozen, beard was white. Had snot dripping so I snorted it back up and my nostrils froze together. But once the heaters are on it warms to sweatshirt weather in ten min. Then you hold your **** as long as possible so you don't have to go back out! [emoji12]
                            LOL... and I thought 3 degrees with wind chill this morning hunting in Oklahoma was bad. Yikes.

Comment

At DFW waiting to board. I was cold this morning and it’s balmy here compared to what awaits me. I’ll be in Minneapolis in a little over 3hrs. Bro picking me up and we’re off to Devils Lake. Will post pics tomorrow once we’re on the ice.

Comment

Hey good luck!! waitin' on some perchpics! Stay safe (and warm as possible)!

Comment

Working...
                                X