No announcement yet.

Hunting & the HEAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 in Quanah today we stayed in camp and finished up a few odds and ends. Looking forward to some cooler mornings later this week

Comment

I decided to get on the tractor and shred instead of hunt. It was hot and in the afternoon the sun beams down on my stand.

Glad I did because the wind was swirling (tractor dust was blowing a different way every other lap)

Comment

Just be glad you get to go i got called the day before season to go offshore not happy bout it and wont be home tell mid november

Comment

hunted all day yesterday, missed a doe with my recurve at about 19 yards, hit a tree limb that i didn't think was going to be in my way when setting my natural blind up, thought it was just a bad release at first then after further inspection i my arrow clipped the top of it and i missed about a foot high, i sweated quite a bit yesterday but it sure beat being at home or at work

Comment

96 heading to my stand yesterday evening, a .5 mile walk in through the brush carrying my hang-on, climbing sticks, pack, bow and enough water to survive the evening hunt. Of course, I was dripping sweat by the time I got to my tree, even though I went in as slow and easy as I possibly could.

Took off my shirt until I cooled down a bit, put on a clean shirt and got set. I was rewarded an hour later with a really nice 13-point that came straight into the tree I was in and proceeded to feed on acorns under me for at least 5 minutes before he moved on. I tried and tried to make him legal in my mind, but I just couldn't convince myself he was 13" so I just sat there and enjoyed watching him. At one point, he was head-down, quartering away at 7 yards for at least a minute. Chip shot.

He finally got downwind of me and hit my scent. He nearly turned inside out and leaped about 20 yards, then stood there looking around blowing for a good 2 minutes before he walked off. No way to hide your scent when you're sweating that much.

Come on cool air. I can't wait.

Comment

Sounds like it may get a little cooler halfway through this weekend. In the Cisco area where I hunt, they are calling for a high of 82 Saturday, down to 55 that night - north wind and high of 72 on Sunday. Still not optimal by any means but I'll take it...

Comment

I spent the last two long days on my tractor. I don't hunt when it is this hot.

Comment

Working...
                X