• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
      Why?

3 decades of experience. And with certain models you really have to watch 1/4 ering shots also everyone needs to learn the art of broadhead tuning in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
        3 decades of experience. And with certain models you really have to watch 1/4 ering shots also everyone needs to learn the art of broadhead tuning in my view.
        :thumbup:
        I shoot Grim Reaper Hog Head.
        Just bought me some Grim Reaper Hades last week. My next project is too learn how to broad head tune my bow.

Comment

Hades is the most underrated broad head out there. I never have figured out why more people don't shoot it. I will get the Hades Hybrid as soon as they are available.

Comment

magnus stinger,

coc and absolutely smashes animals. I personally don't like long distance performance but thats because I don't want to take the time to get a huge head like that to fly right. a newbie shouldn't be allowed to shoot over 20 and preference to closer!

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              Why?
              i agree that a newbie shouldn't use a mech. They tend to not have learned the performance of the bow and I personally am not one that subscribes to just screwing it on and expecting field point accuracy.

I think people focus too much on fp poi and not on energy pushing the arrow. When your arrow is not in tune then your next post is

I never get good penetration with x mechanical or

Mechanicals stink they never blow through

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                i agree that a newbie shouldn't use a mech. They tend to not have learned the performance of the bow and I personally am not one that subscribes to just screwing it on and expecting field point accuracy.

I think people focus too much on fp poi and not on energy pushing the arrow. When your arrow is not in tune then your next post is

I never get good penetration with x mechanical or

Mechanicals stink they never blow through
                This makes a lot more sense than "Stay away from mechs." I've shot both and my go-to head is a NAP Spitfire (mech). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a newbie BECAUSE of the forgiveness. That said, as others have stated, learn as much as you can about your equipment and shoot as many as you can to get comfortable with your setup. I've only been doing this 37 years so I'm still learning....

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRed View Post
                  This makes a lot more sense than "Stay away from mechs." I've shot both and my go-to head is a NAP Spitfire (mech). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a newbie BECAUSE of the forgiveness. That said, as others have stated, learn as much as you can about your equipment and shoot as many as you can to get comfortable with your setup. I've only been doing this 37 years so I'm still learning....

Nice pop off. I wasn't bein an ***. I was in a hurry and returned to answer the question if you woulda read.

Comment

Hades is the most underrated broad head out there. I never have figured out why more people don't shoot it. I will get the Hades Hybrid as soon as they are available.
                    I really want to see what this broadhead will do

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post
                      I really want to see what this broadhead will do

Me n you both!!!

Comment

x3 I liked the idea and looks of the Grave Diggers, but never fully trusted that ferule design. Have broken several where the main blade slides into the ferule. They are kind of like Rage broad heads, when they work they are devastating, but when you hit something really solid, be prepared for disappointment. The hybrid Reapers would seem to be a much stronger design by default, and I really like the Grim Reaper razor cuts and the Hades.

Comment

Yeah Grave Diggers are built diff. It's just a wide leading edge tip with a bad weak spot behind the ferrule. These new GR's are not anyway built that way.

Comment

The best advice I can give you as a beginner bowhunter/archer is to keep it simple at first. Develope your skills and confidence before having to have all the latest and greatest that you hear about and will be suggested to you. That goes for broadheads too. There are more brands and styles of broadhead then you can shake a stick at now days and the majority will do the job but simple is still better at your stage. Fixed blade with replaceable blades is as simple as it gets and Muzzy, Thunderhead, and Slick Trick is as good as it gets.(before a hornets nest gets stirred there are others I didn't list just as good) IMHO, unless you are proficiant at sharpening a broadhead this is the way to go.

The 2 most important things no matter what head you choose is to learn to tune your bow for proper arrow flight and broadhead flight. Even a mechanical head needs to be shot out of a properly tuned bow. There are lots on the GS to readup on how to paper and broadhead tune and lots of folks on this site to help ya out. The next is to keep your hunting shots to no more than 20-25 yards tops until you build the skills and confidence to expand. I draw the line in the sand at 30 yards and I've been at this for 38 years.

Good luck and keep it simple.
                            Last edited by Hornytoad; 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I started with Muzzy's quite reliable lately I've been tinkering with ramcats and grizz tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fla Hunter View Post
                                I started with Muzzy's quite reliable lately I've been tinkering with ramcats and grizz tricks.
                                I just bought some grizztrick trick 2s... what do u think about urs?

Comment

Working...
                                X