building an ice chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building an ice chest

I've been considering building a large ice chest to transport gutted game to the processor from the field. Processor charges $35 extra if you skin and quarter because he has to clean the hair and dirt off or risk giving you back contaminated meat. Depending on how long it is before you can get to the processor, I thought this was a great idea.

Was thinking of building a box inside of a box. Inner box would be made of aluminum, with the outer box probably being plywood. By filling the gap between the two boxes with ice, the inner box would be cooled because aluminum is a good conductor. And, the meat and hide would stay dry.

Do y'all think this would cool enough to keep the meat from spoiling and cape from getting wet? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

FFT-How about using a chest style freezer,
    i did when i went out of state elk hunting
    accomplished the same task
    not much work involved
    could be modified
    just a thought
    cya,
    Bob G.

Comment

That's what I use...just gutted it out. It even locks.

Comment

I've been wanting to come up with some sort of big soft sided bag type cooler to do the same thing. That way you could roll it up out of the way when not in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
          I've been wanting to come up with some sort of big soft sided bag type cooler to do the same thing. That way you could roll it up out of the way when not in use.
          Maybe out of duct?

Comment

This has served me well in the past and it is light and cheap.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	barrel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	23841332

Name:	barrel & lid.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	23841333

Name:	foam.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	23841334
            You can buy the foam at wally world in the camping section for around $6 per roll. Cover with duct tape and fab a lid and you are ready. My lid is made of head liner material.
            I added an extra barrell to the outside for durability. The barrel is big enough for 1 large gutted buck or 2 small does.

Comment

Working...
            X