Rolling flatbar into a circle- Georgetown/Austin area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolling flatbar into a circle- Georgetown/Austin area

I'm trying to make a mount for the water jug that my grandfather carried on his truck for 44 years in the oilfield. Need to roll 2 pieces of flatbar into a circle about 10 7/8 inch diameter. One piece is 1/2 inch wide the other is 1 inch wide. I've tried cold rolling it around the jug, but can't get it tight enough. The guys at American fence and supply wanted $50 each!

I plan on mounting it to the front of my grill guard. Can anyone help or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Can you use a ratchet strap to snug it up as tight as you want it to be? Maybe use a metal round (frying pan, piece of pipe. etc.) as a mold and tack weld it?

Comment

When having to weld something like that round before, this is what I've done. I have made a jig on my welding table. Draw out the entire circle with the right diameter. Around the circumference, I drilled some holes about every 4 to 6 inches and tapped for 1/4 X 20 bolts. Put the bolts in and make sure they are tall enough for the flat bar. Wrap the flat bar around the bolts...(make sure your bolt holes are just inside the circumference) You can also tack weld the flat bar to the welding table as you go around the jig bolts. When the project is complete, grind your tack welds from the table, remove your new ring, then remove the bolts.

I hope some of this made sense...

Comment

How about a piece of pipe in the correct diameter? Prolly cheaper.

Comment

You could make it square. If the square is the right size the jug will fit just as snug. Just notch out where the spout goes.

Comment

Working...
          X