No announcement yet.

How fast is a gunfight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't remember where I've seen it but I remember multiple references to the "rule of 3" in armed self-defense stats.

" 3 shots, in 3 seconds at a distance of 3 steps"

Moral is that it happens quickly and usually at close range.

Comment

YouTube channel called Active Self Protection has videos like this all the time. He goes through and talks about lessons to be learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
        Don't remember where I've seen it but I remember multiple references to the "rule of 3" in armed self-defense stats.

" 3 shots, in 3 seconds at a distance of 3 steps"

Moral is that it happens quickly and usually at close range.
        There's an old saying in Alaska that, in the event you kill a bear in self defense, he'd better have powder burns on his nose, or you're in trouble. The same probably applies to most self defense scenarios. If you have an avenue of escape, you are best off taking it if others are not in danger. That's not the case in a bank robbery though.

Comment

How long is a gunfight? It can last the rest of your life. Forgot where I read that.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            There's an old saying in Alaska that, in the event you kill a bear in self defense, he'd better have powder burns on his nose, or you're in trouble. The same probably applies to most self defense scenarios. If you have an avenue of escape, you are best off taking it if others are not in danger. That's not the case in a bank robbery though.

I'd say as soon as deadly force comes into play by the perp that applies anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              Good way to get attacked from behind.

Comment

Can someone post it that is not associated with FB?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                  How long is a gunfight? It can last the rest of your life. Forgot where I read that.
                  Yep. I think its one of Clint Smiths sayings.

Comment

He got what was coming to him! Got my blood pumping just watching it, guard did a dang good job.

Comment

For training I tell my officers that all gunfights (almost) happen in a couple of seconds and you will not likely know when it will start. Some people watch videos and almost always say something like, "Wow, that went down fast".

Yes it did. We had better be ready at all times. If I knew that I was going to be in a shooting incident in about 10 seconds, it likely would never happen because I would not be standing there or would be in position to end it before it started. In fact if I had a 5 second warning it would likely be the same answer. Wouldn't it be great if we all got a 10 second warning?

People simply don't get that kind of warning whether a civilian or an on duty police officer. In this case the guard really didn't see him until the bad guy had entered and looks like he might already fired a shot into the ceiling. In fact the clerks saw it coming way before the guard did and they were ducking behind the counter before the guard looks like he even realized it. Of course they had the better vantage point of seeing out the glass doors and the guard was at a bad angle. Had the guard realized it a few seconds earlier he would have had his gun in hand and had cover.

That is just the way it is. The start of a deadly force incident almost always happens fast like within a couple of seconds. This one is evidence of that.

Comment

That's a perfect example of why there should be one in the pipe when you carry. If he would have had to chamber a round things could have ended differently.

Comment

That was fast
                          Prob seemed like a long time to those involved I'll bet

Comment

Nice reaction time! Caught it quick!

Comment

For the few without Facebook (like me) please post a link.

Comment

Wow

Comment

Working...
                                X